Petrol or Diesel car?

or are sat *in* the car rather than outside it...

Reply to
John Rumm

Range Rover Sport very smooth and quiet. Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi also pretty good IMO.

Reply to
Rob

So, not only have you never driven a proper racing car, you don't know what "driveability" means.

Reply to
Huge

Yep. In the car, at a speed where the road noise drowns out the clattering.

Reply to
Huge

it would suit me:- slow - fine in a city car, I hate driving performance cars at 30 economy - that's a down, but I can live with it engine life wouldn't matter, I've done 30,000 in the 9 year old Hyundai handling - no problem, I like driving and bad handling to me is a bit of fun in a city car. Those other cars are boring, I want the ultra short wheelbase to park sideways on across the BMW and the soft top, you could also "pull" in a Smart :-)

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Reply to
clumsy bastard

the main problem with my Bond was lack of brakes, it could manage about 35 mph, the Isetta with a BMW engine was much faster. Just dont break down with the front up against a solid object.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

I usually leave the engine running before switching off the ignition and I have a non turbo :-) I know what you mean, after a fast run let it idle for aewhile.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

OK, OK: very stupid, idiot troll or completely insane?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Efficient - maybe not - but the same is true for an EV. It is carbon neutral (at that point of the equation) and cleaner in cities etc.

H manufacturing could be done close to nuke power generation to minimise the distribution losses.

Same was probably said of the gas mantle and the electric bulb. Fuel cell cars do exist now.

So no different from petrol then...

What is the big deal? You do it when having deliveries of LPG. There is probably less risk than with moving petrol, since at least the H is pumped using sealed hoses and connectors.

Time will tell. The inability to quickly refuel and carry on is a big stumbling block for EVs though.

Reply to
John Rumm

Never heard of them! And it wouldn't help if I had...

"Sorry, your address is not in a milk&more delivery area at the moment."

Oh well. :-(

Reply to
Rod

they are Unigate or one of the big dairies.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

London buses on route RV1. Dribble thinks there are also dual fuel so I assume there are not.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Since when did 'driveability' have anything to do with racing? To me it means all sort of things like being able to drive the car very slowly as well as fast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used to be paranoid about that however it was pointed out to me that as soon as you take your foot off the accellerator the back pressure rapidly reduces the speed of the turbo.

Haven't given it a second thought for the last 50,000 miles either starting of stopping, and as the first 3 years of it's life were a

30,000 mile a year company car I doubt the business driver gave 2 figs for it either.

Only thing is it's always had oil & filter chaned every 6000 miles. I have up to date FSH for the last 180,000 miles. Old engine oil is the turbo killer in my mind. I can't believe a modern diesel can or should go 20,000 miles or whatever between oil changes without serious wear implications.

Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I've driven - and covet - a neighbour's newish 535 BMW diesel. Around town when warmed up it's not really any noisier than my petrol one - although the engine noise you do hear is different. Not unpleasant, but different. And I could forgive it anything for the performance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a time I would have agreed, but after some recent trips (the one in the Range Rover being the best example), I really was surprised at just how quiet it was, and nothing at all like being in a diesel transit or similar! (To be fair, I have also been in plenty of "ordinary" diesel cars where it was obvious it was diesel just from the sound and the harshness).

Reply to
John Rumm

Ha - awesome.

I remember my uncle owning a Ford Zephyr/Zodiac hearse at one point, which was presumably an estate conversion done by someone (probably Abbott) - I think it must have been a mk3 Zodiac as I remember it having the quad headlights.

cheers

J.

Reply to
Jules

And then good ol' Clive tried it with the C5, except that he ditched the cover ;)

One of my uncles had an Isetta, but sadly it's long-gone and I can only just about remember it...

Reply to
Jules

As did my first turbo Legacy[1] - words to the effect of: allow it to idle for a couple of mins if stopping immediately after a period of hard driving. (in most real world cases you would probably have been pootling back through town to home for the last few mins anyway, so less of an issue).

[1] The current one possibly says something similar, but since it is a grey import and I don't read Japanese, I don't know!

And as with most turbos, don't thrash it until its warmed up a bit.

Reply to
John Rumm