Petrol or Diesel car?

There is absolutely no point on burining fuel in a fuel cell. Its no more efficient than burning it in an IC engine.

Electric ars exiust. Fuel cell cars do not. Go figure.

I prefer to think of it as a very expensive bomb, which costs far more than the fuel used to make it, just waiting to go bang.

Hah. You have been reading drivels leftovers. Do you really want to put 200KWH energy of hydrogen onto a tank in a few seconds..can I be at lest 2 miles away when you do please?

Nope. It will be the town car of the future for sure. Fuel cells and hydrogen power are oil company fantasies: they want to still be in the line of handling chemical fuel.

It is doomed though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Saab turbos had a clear notice about leaving the engine running for a while before switching off the ignition. And their own oil felt hardly thicker than water (surely it was, but to someone brought up on Castrol GTX gloop, it felt that thin).

Reply to
Rod

Rod gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Mine doesn't... 99 Turbos may well have, but my own '90 900T16 is perfectly happy on "normal driving" - ie, don't rag the arse off it then instantly turn it off whilst it's still glowing gently...

10W30, 5w30, 10w40, 5w40 - any 5 grade must be synth or semisynth. 15w40 OK if none of the others available, 5w30 must be used below -20degC.
Reply to
Adrian

Nice simple cars to work on. Apart from the rear brakes, obviously. ;-)

That's very good for an A Series. My father had a new Minor in '53 fitted for the first time with the Austin A Series - a 803cc unit. He wore out the engine in the same time as the first set of tyres... The 948 unit was a lot stronger.

1098 and 948 would be the sizes for the common in line units. Minis had a bigger variety. Of course the last in line version was the 1275 as fitted to the Marina - and that sort of drops straight in too.

Went to the Goodwood revival last year and watched them dicing with Jaguars. The racing ones were ridiculously swift.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One deliver here up until recently - when the milkman fell ill. Dunno if anyone will take over his round, as he's close to retirement and I doubt will return to work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Up until a few years ago, we got our regular order delivered by the local dairy - very convenient, but expensive. Then we got a note saying no more deliveries as of Monday. (IIRC, that was on a Friday).

Now we use goat milk from supermarket. Don't think many milk roundsmen carried that!

Reply to
Rod

I rode in a 2 or 3 y/o Audi diesel a couple of weeks ago. It clattered away at idle like they all do. When my wife picked me up at the station last night I wondered why she'd left the Disco engine running. She hadn't - it was the newish beemer parked next to her.

People who think modern diesels are as quiet as petrol are deaf, deluding themselves or comparing them with agricultural vehicles,

Reply to
Huge

Yes. You've obviously never driven a proper racing car.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, it was all about tank size v fuel consumption wasn't it. I imagine the little Ford the hamster drove would be better than a Pious for the planet.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

True. At 70 mph on the motorway, I cannot tell my Td5 Disco is a diesel. On a cold winter's morning it sounds like a London taxicab.

Reply to
Huge

I do London Aberdeen with a few short breaks, I certainly dont want to stop for a hour where it suits the car, rather than me and i dont want to arrive at the ferry out of juice. Electric needs to get to 500 range before its viable IMHO

Reply to
clumsy bastard

and lots of larger cars also do good mpg, the difference between a pious and a Cooper S is the latter is a car somebody might actually want to drive.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

I drive a petrol car, how thick are you?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

there may be a renaissance, Milk and More are now computerised, you can order online (potatoes, drinks , even milk) up till 8.30 pm and its on the doorstep next morning, we were the last in our street but its picking up again now.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

You might also be amused by this;

's a one-off E Type hearse built for the Hal Ashby movie "Harold & Maude" (one of my favourite movies). It no longer exists, since it was destroyed in filming.

Reply to
Huge

I usually go into central London by train, I may have to get a Smart if they start enforcing the "dont park across your own drive" rule, its the only thing that would fit on the drive with the BMW.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Get yourself a Smart Diablo;

Huge

Cats *increase* CO2 emissions. I suspect you meant CO.

Reply to
Huge

Huge gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Petrol cats do. Diesel cats don't, and don't affect the MOT emissions.

Reply to
Adrian

Correct, nearest I've got was probably an AC Cobra about 25 years ago. My point was that if Audi can build a diesel car that can win Le Mans

3 years in a row then driveability can't be much of an issue.
Reply to
pcb1962