PAT / safety-testing - domestic lighting?

Given the problems the US is having with prescription pain killers, would you add in doctors and drug companies too?

And then there's alcohol...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

there's a list of problems with doctors.

Cars and OTC painkillers kill many too. Where do you draw the line? How do you decide who is responsbile?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No! Totally different scenario, apparrantly the problems with painkillers in the US are based on what started as a genuine treatment for pain relief.

One would be tempted to think that the cause of the problem was private medical practice and a failiure to provideaffordable joint surgery, but some of the deaths have occurred to people that One would think were well able to afford a few new joints.

Anyway, I have little doubt that most of the doctors involved are acting in what they see as the best interests of their patients.

God help the American people if that isn't the general case, the poor dears have a very big blonde millstone around their necks already :-)

A tool, like the odd spanner or screwdriver in the toolbox.

Some get great pleasure from it and use it as a way to release their creativity, careful use of said tool can lead to more effective social interaction and can help build relationships.

Sadly there are a few who's use of alcohol and also spanners and screwdrivers incidentally, will lead to misery, financial difficulties and a life that is full of incoherent ramblings about their great "successes" and of course the propensity for constantly telling others how to do things.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

HI Colin Yes - that's the course of action I was going to follow. I used to get paid for writing Quality manuals - but I guess I'll just do this one for free Planning on using a PAT tester, just because it's a recognisable set of tests. Incoming C's of C being arranged.. As we used to say when preparing for a Quality Audit - 'Head them off at the pass!' Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

The world might be a little more fair if the likes of you stopped telling people how to lead their lives and if the likes of you realised that people's bodies belong to them, and and not to the likes of you and that adults get to choose for themselves, no matter what the likes of you think of those decisions.

Reply to
Huge

I,m sorry

At what point did I tell anyone to do anything.

The reference you have included is merely a supposition, people do choose for themselves no matter what I think, have you any evidence to the contrary?

Believe me this planet would be a miserable place, if everyone adhered to my, or any other individuals whim as to what the population should do.

Incidentally, the "believe me" is just a phrase, don't for one moment think of it as a command. You are entirely at liberty to disbelieve me if it takes your fancy.

I do humbly apologise for the misunderstandings my posts have caused you, but you have to remember that most contributers to uk.d-i-y are reasonably sensible and can comprehend English. I cannot always remember to cater for the likes of your good self.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

This idiot's a troll posting under various different monikers.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, and when you do please f*ck off and live over there, eh?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I think he is living there old bean!

Still we cant allow mere facts to interfere with our output of bigoted racist drivel, can we?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

And you aren't a troll?

Reply to
dennis

No, I've read plenty from CD and he isn't. I'm starting to think he's right about tarquin.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Have you actually read the IET Code of Practice for In Service Inspection and Testing? It might be simpler if the OP and many others invested in a copy of the current edition. Amazon is a good place to start.

Reply to
Cynic

Not sure what it's got to do with you - but we've been resident over here (Ireland) for the past 12 years, thanks.

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Have you actually read the initial enquiry to see what the communications relate to?

You like a number of others in this NG, dip in giving out choice advice on the solution to problems you do not understand or do nor care enough about to give a few minutes of time assimilating the information.

In service inspection and testing is precisely what the title say's. It wouldn't be simpler to invest in a copy.

Impressive as the document is, it isn't simpler to invest in a copy of something that does not apply to an appliance that not only has never seen service, but it hasn't even arrived at the place of use.

Perthaps an outline of harmonic rejection techniques might be woth investigating, I'm sure a procedure for testing for third harmonics could be found also.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

The more important part of a PAT test is the viaual inspection. Either way , to carry one out and for it to have any weight, you would need to have a City & Guilds in PAT testing (at least that was the requirement about 10 -

15 years ago when I did it (one day course (not even a day if I recall corr ectly).

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
chrispvholmes

I have a piece of paper that says I attended a PAT course, but there's nothing about City & Guilds on it.

Reply to
charles

On the first point, correct. This will pick nearly every fault up in most circumstances.

As far as the second goes, Weight with who?

Can you justify that statement?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

way, to carry one out and for it to have any weight, you would need to have a City & Guilds in PAT testing (at least that was the requirement about 10 - 15 years ago when I did it (one day course (not even a day if I recall c orrectly).

I can't justify it with chapter & verse, but the day something one has PAT tested catches fire the next week, HSE or someone might well come looking f or your qualification(s) and evidence of (public liability??) insurance (wh ich dependiing on the size of the fire, you might need to claim on (but per haps only if you were held to be negligent?)

When I say "you", no critiscism of you in particular is expressed or implie d, I am sure you know what you are doing with electricery.

Such concerns are one reason I will be having my CU changes done profession ally. I could probably hire some test equipment and follow the guides in t he WiKi, but I still don't have the bits of paper, membership of prefession al bodies, or insurance.

Reply to
chrispvholmes

They would have to prove the item was faulty *at the time of the test* which might prove tricky if destroyed by fire.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's just the City & Guilds requirement that is false.

No formal qualifications are needed. To be honest, when I did the course there were a group from I think, the council all doing the classes with me in between their the jolly japes. I would have more confidence in an enthusiastic amateur!

Don't get me wrong it's an excellent course, but at the end of the day it isn't exactly a demanding task to train someone to measure conductivity.

I would without a shadow of a doubt recommend it to anyone involved with the practice incidentally, a lot of people engaged in testing freely advertise that they don't know what they are doing.

As far as your CU changes go, you are totally correct. In my own personal experience no matter what the source of reference used and how thourough One's approach, the first job or maybe ten jobs, provide the experience to enable the next one to be done properly :-(