lamp pendant: safety type

Hi,

Daft question, what is a safety lamp pendant. For example:

's a crabtree one but I think SF also sell another make (could be Volex, which IIRC is part of the electrium group along with crabtree).

What has confused me is the phrase "wipe clean contacts". Normally I associate "wipe clean" meaning to clean with a wipe of a cloth. I'm sure that can't be what they mean here. It's not a good idea to run a damp cloth over live terminals!

Are these those pendants where the terminals "disappear" when a bulb is removed?

They sound like a good idea in theory but in practice, I have had times where the bulb breaks in the holder (the glass part turns but the metal bayonet bit stays put) and in that case, the terminals would stay exposed and live, so I am not sure how much use they are in practice.

TIA

Reply to
Fred

> That's a crabtree one but I think SF also sell another make (could be

on that page it quite clearly states : Lamp must be fully inserted before contacts become live

Reply to
Phil L