Washing lightbulbs

With the old incandescent bulbs, washing lightbulbs was pretty simple. Just remove them from the fixture, then dip them in the sink and wash them. Wipe them dry with a dish towel, and replace them.

These new CF bulbs are different. Dipping them in water results in their base filling up with water. This is where their electronics are located, so once they are dipped in water, they are ruined, or at least require weeks or more to completely dry internally. On top of this, their swirlly glass top is much harder to clean. So far, it appears that the only way to clean them is to use Q-tips and spend a half hour to clean each bulb. This is time consuming and very annoying.

We wash our bulbs about twice a year. What used to take two or three hours, now takes two or three days. We're not impressed with these new bulbs. At least they could seal them so that water can not get inside when they are washed.

Has anyone found a better way to clean these CF bulbs?

Reply to
markflint

You're kidding right?

You're not supposed to eat off your light bulbs, screw them in, then leave them alone.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Have to send them out for dry cleanining. New expense, for people.

.

These new CF bulbs are different. Dipping them in water results in their base filling up with water. This is where their electronics are located, so once they are dipped in water, they are ruined, or at least require weeks or more to completely dry internally. On top of this, their swirlly glass top is much harder to clean. So far, it appears that the only way to clean them is to use Q-tips and spend a half hour to clean each bulb. This is time consuming and very annoying.

We wash our bulbs about twice a year. What used to take two or three hours, now takes two or three days. We're not impressed with these new bulbs. At least they could seal them so that water can not get inside when they are washed.

Has anyone found a better way to clean these CF bulbs?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:35:39 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@2012.com wrote in Re Washing lightbulbs:

Why do they need cleaning? Are they in an unprotected location? Doesn't having them in a fixture keep them clean?

Reply to
CRNG

Physicians have often had to remove light bulbs from places you can guess at. Maybe he had intentions other than using as a light bulb.

Reply to
Frank

You don't have to clean CF bulbs. Don't you know what CF stands for?

Clean Forever

Where did you think the energy savings came from?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Try running them through a full wash and dry cycle in the dishwasher. That should return them to factory-new condition.

Don't forget the Jet-Dri!

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I use a feather duster or equivalent and canned air does a good job too. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Enter the search term "massaging footbath" into your favorite search engine. For about $30 you can get 1 new. You may even find a used one at a Goodwill or Salvation Army store. If you are working, the $30 should be worth it to save 3 days of effort. If you're retired, or chronically unemployed, just pump up your favorite music and enjoy the cleaning project while you listen.

If you are careful not to immerse the first inch or so of the CFL lamp where it emerges from the base, this foot bath device might do the job. You'd have to experiment to find the most effective cleaning agent to put in the water but I'd start with a dish washing liquid that cuts grease, such as Dawn or Palmolive. If it doesn't do the job, at least you can treat yourself to some relaxing foot baths.

You probably won't find too many people who feel the need to use more than a feather duster or a quick blow of air from your mouth (if anything at all) on their CFLs so you're probably on your own here.

Reply to
Peter

On 18 Oct 2012, "Stormin Mormon" wrote in alt.home.repair:

Creates jobs. Good for the economy.

Reply to
Nil

Get help for your ADD.

There may even be a 12-step program available in your town.

Question: Do you dust INSIDE the books on your shelves?

Reply to
HeyBub

If they do, they should wear a dust jacket.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My butler takes care of it.

Reply to
Douglas C. Neidermeyer

You leave dust pile up everywhere for years? What a pig.

Reply to
krw

Go to the Cessna Pilot Center at your local airport and get a can of prop wash.

Reply to
Sergeant Hulka

Mark Flint:

Incandescent light bulbs do become dimmer as they get older, but that is NOT due to dust accumulation on the light bulbs. It's entirely due to the tungsten metal atoms from the filament coating the inside of the bulb. So, this is something that cannot be removed by washing the outside of the bulb.

Here, prove it to yourself: When you replace light bulbs that have spent their lives in one position; such as vertical in the case of freestanding floor or desk lamps, or horizontal in the case of bathroom and bedroom light fixtures, or upside down as in the case of porch and hallway lights, inspect the bulb when you remove it from the fixture.

You will notice that the top of the bulb always has the most darkening on the inside of the glass. That's because incandescent light bulbs are filled with an inert gas (most often argon), and convection of hot argon gas off the hot tungsten filiment carries the tungsten atoms upwards, thereby causing the topmost part of the bulb to darken the most.

Washing your light bulbs won't eliminate that darkening that happens inside the bulb.

Reply to
nestork

Nah, I've already got a concealed firearms license.

Reply to
krw

Yes.

Washing CFLs periodically is a good idea especially if the CFL is in a dusty or dirty environment such as a wood shop, barn or in an open fixture outside. Dirt can easily drop the light output of a spiral CFL by 20-30 percent.

Here's how to clean the CFL without damaging the elecronics.

- Take the CFL out of the socket and hold it base up.

- Spray the spiral glass part with a spray cleaner (Windex works well). Let the cleaner work for a few seconds disolving the dirt.

- Still holding the CFL base up, rinse the spiral glass part in clean water taking care that the water doesn't get into the plastic base.

- Gently dry the spiral glass with a soft cloth or paper towel. Wipe off the plastic base and socket at the same time.

- Lay the CFL down in a warm, dry area so the surfaces of the spiral that can't be reached with the drying cloth can air dry for a half hour or so.

- Reinstall the CFL in the socket.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Dust accumulation reduces output - sometimes significantly.

Reply to
clare

So, you wash all the bulbs in your house twice a year?

Here in New Jersey, we don't get that kind of dust accumulation. Not in one year, not even in five. I've got some bulbs in my attic fixtures that have been there over 35 years.

Just checked, a little dusty, but bright enough that I think I'll wait until they burn out.

Reply to
Dan Espen