PAT / safety-testing - domestic lighting?

Import & resale of most electrical items with leaded solder is prohibited under RoHS.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm ahead of you on that one - all suitably labelled with appropriate warnings (about weight & lifting, rather than licking the lead )

Also has a page of 'installation instructions'....

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

The big panels are lead came, the smaller items like the lamps are generally 'Tiffany' construction (copper foil with (tin/lead) solder)

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Nope - we're in Europe!

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I'm sorry - you're getting well outside your field of expertise here.....

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Let me make it simple for you.

A test is a test full stop. You plug a device into the mains, it's a portable appliance.

There we are, I got rid of the confusing bits.

Is there anythin else you dont understand?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Drools with envy :-(

But I have my Irish passport :-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I used one of those as a teenager. Did it not have a wire guard at some stage?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Good for you. Sadly, we only have UK ones at the moment - but have been thinking about applying for Irish ones as well. Might be a worthwhile investment.

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Would you drop me an email, please? Contact details on the website. thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Not at all. The main perceived danger is during and after disposal, e.g. lead and cadmium leaching from landfill. I don't have the expertise to judge whether the concern is justified.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The later ones did.

A chrome grid that clipped into four holes in the reflector.

The device depicted does not have the mounting holes.

An excellent example of the dispensation with silly EU safety rules that continue to deprive British manufacturers of vast profits for shoddy unsafe goods.

On the plus point those heaters reduced the lung cancer rate amongst smokers.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

You could actually light a cigarette from the bare wire version of the elements. Handy if you had no matches.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You most certainly could!

And the "lucky" smokers were those that didnt remove the tinfoil from the wrapper inside the ciggy packet.

The more astute removed the foil and went on to a miserable end.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

But Adrian doesn't want to go unleaded.

I'm well aware.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

uld need PAT testing - at times when a PAT test is warranted that is. Which it isn't anyway. But with an external wallwart the safety requirements for the ELV luminaire become lower & easier to achieve.

the rules & regulations that apply to mains appliances. It's why wallwarts are so popular.

d luminaire is exempt from PAT testing as it's not a mains electrical devic e. It would also be exempt from the need to be class I or II, for strain re lief & so on.

by a brick are PAT exempt, only the PSU needs testing.

ng would be ridiculous. On the contrary it would be a bit ridiculous to PAT test it, as it's never connected to the mains.

yes, why I bother replying to you.

Reply to
tabbypurr

It is a very unfair world. The statistics are in their favour, but some of the people who spend every waking minute doing healthy things still come to a miserable end prematurely.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

True!

The world would be a little more fair maybe, if we locked tobacco company CEO's up alongside the other drug dealers :-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

On 03-Feb-18 12:11 PM, Adrian Brentnall wrote: ...

As compliance is self-certified, nobody is going to worry about what you do, unless something goes wrong. If that happens you will need a paper trail, to prove that the product was properly designed, made and inspected. Spending some time on writing a quality manual and a technical file would probably be worth while. A comprehensive risk assessment will give the rational for any tests you deem necessary. I would also ask the makers of the components you buy in for certificates of conformity for their products.

Reply to
Nightjar