PAT

My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.
The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.
I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty lead was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.
A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if it is PAT Tested.
Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.
I have not ruled out that the lead may be PAT tested - not easy to check right now.
...but what responsibility is it of the speaker?
On 10/03/2019 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:

Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if you can be bothered.
Bill
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 12:58:51 +0000, Bill Wright

I thought all the idiots on the NG were taken up by Brexit.
At one time people "on the road" were at particular risk from cables being bundled into vans and the like after every "gig". Electric guitar players were very prone to exiting the world of the living, both through their own equipment and items left for the users of the venue with no real responsibility for maintenance being taken.
If you need to ask the question as to responsibility for testing of the cable, then you really are in no position to do your own testing and pull labels off the internet.
Your speakers equipment couldn't in any forseeable way be damaged whatever the condition of the connecting cable.
An opportunity for deep thought methinks, and while you're at it, look up "duty of care" on your search engine.
Your speaker seems to have her wits about her, what's the subject it may be quite a rewarding lecture.
AB
On 10/03/2019 13:13, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

The PAT test for extension leads comprises: Test insulation resistance and polarity. Visual check.
Anyone could do that, except possibly a remainer idiot.
Bill
On Sunday, 10 March 2019 20:22:30 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

My mother couldn't.
But she wouldn't have been able to use a projector, anyway.
Owain
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:22:30 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

And check the earth is continuous from the plug to each/every outlet. And check the fuse is correct And fill in the Log Book of equipment. Or give them a written note if it is only the one piece of equipment that you need to inspect. You can also stick on a Pass label if you want, though it isnt mandatory. But, if you fit a label, you do need the 'new' labels (new being 4 years old now) that do not have a 'next test date', as the Tester does not recommend the next test date now, and it should not be printed on any labels.

Well, possibly, but it isnt as easy as you think if done properly, as you have just proven.

Indeed,so. It's up to the owner to do a risk assessment to determine the frequency of testing and always has been.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:22:30 +0000, Bill Wright

"Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if you can be bothered."
The initial question should have made it abundantly clear the bloke was clueless.
Anyone cannot do it, there is a C&G course to train people to do it and they still get it wrong.
Your "advice" is just typical of the gormless idiots infesting this NG that are clueless about a subject, google a few words and then try to impress the poor recipient with their astounding knowledge.
"If you can be bothered" and safety are mutually exclusive terms.
AB
On Sunday, 10 March 2019 22:10:21 UTC, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

That's far from true. The process may be simple but there's lots of little complexities that come into it in practice, and the tester needs to know how to deal with those. eg not all cordgrips are acceptable. The average person has no idea what forms exist or how to assess which do the job - or even what the job is they need to do. eg not all flexes are acceptable. Some are single insulated, 110v rated, clearly too thin, etc etc. Plug type matters, most folk have no idea about that. I've found sockets that function but don't grip the plug pins. A fire waiting to happen, they shouldn't pass.
NT

You're just trying to make out it's complicated in order to preserve the status of the 'expert', same as lawyers try to make house conveyancing sound difficult.
Bill
On Monday, 11 March 2019 03:37:03 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

bzzt.
NT

Is that the sound of someone getting electrocuted because of a dodgy extension lead?
Bill
On Monday, 11 March 2019 13:28:47 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

no, it's a famous gameshow sound that happens when a contentant gives a wrong answer.
Seems I'm running late today.
NT

If it is you'll not hear it very often.
--
bert

On Monday, 11 March 2019 03:37:03 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

tle complexities that come into it in practice, and the tester needs to kno w how to deal with those.

But it is also true. most standard PAT tests might not check for the breakd own voltage and there are various other things that can be checked and in s ome cases need to be checked. Some of our equipemnt faile dthe earth test s o I had to shorten the mains leads and make sure the earth leads was proper ly connected to the metal case of the PSU.

Did you really have to bring that into the issue? It may be obvous to say it but - wanting to leave the EU or not doesn't have anything to do with PAT. It makes me wonder why I should listen to anything you say (well I don't much).
--
Chris Green
·

On 10/03/2019 22:13, Chris Green wrote:

As with anyone in the group, with time you get to learn which posters have useful knowledge on which topics.
However I suspect in this case most are having a sense of humour failure!
--
Cheers,

John.
On 11/03/2019 00:26, John Rumm wrote:

It was satire. He said "I thought all the idiots on the NG were taken up by Brexit."
Bill
"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq"
wrote:

Irrelevant to what can happen with an extension cord for a PROJECTOR that has been checked for any problem.

I think to be honest its better to use a brand new one. It has been my experience at church halls that the kit there gets a lot of abuse. Cables where the outer is pulled from the cable grip, worn sockets and loose connections in the socket r plug, if its not a moulded on one.
Brian
--
----- --