PAT

As I said it would pass a PAT tester, I didn't say it would pass a PAT test if the inspection was done.

Reply to
dennis

Since, as far as I was told, you do the visual inspection first, why did it ever come near a testing machine?

Reply to
charles

It didn't PAT tests haven.t been around for long.

Reply to
dennis

Comparing your childhood antics with my lifetime's experience is false equivalence.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You must be bloody good then.

25 at a time eh? That's impressive. Was it the thrd, 10th or 15th that made you such an astounding professional?

Commiserations on the fused plugs.

The three doesn't mean 3kW you know.

That's probably why you bought so many.

You should have asked the nice man at the shop to put the proper fuse in.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

There are many testers that pass unsafe leads at times due to an overly simplistic view of the subject.

It is, reread what he wrote.

really? that sounds like bad pratice

It is PAT testable. A lot of testers don't understand the issues though.

of course

Insulation PAT testing is done at above mains voltage

How many PAT passed wallwarts kill people?

no, PAT testing does not test BS compliance

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think the point is clear enough.

Reply to
tabbypurr

But it has to come up to the recent standards that;s why you have tp replace the cord and check for earthing on antique light fittings, although I cna think you can leave them as is providing they can't be connected up easily. Or for specialsed places like museums.

My department has statred worrying about what sort of solder were using and whether we need fume extractors and what sort. Seems to crop up every few years, they'll be relooking at PAT testing again soon.

Wonder what they'll decide this year.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I've had an extention lead that has had it's pass sticker put on it, when it should have failed the visual inspection.

And I've had 2 or 3 soldering irons fail the visual inspection that shouldn't have been considered as PAT test fails.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Let's see. Vintage radios and TVs using 'live chassis' construction techniques, especially if the mains connection was via a reversible plug/socket arrangement on the back of the receiver.

Uninsulated control spindles so that, if the felt washer between the knob and cabinet is missing, a fine probe in the gap could come into contact with the potentially live spindle, depending on the design of the knob. If the knob isn't secured by an inaccessible strong spring clip, the securing grub screw can also be contacted with a suitable probe.

At the rear, again a sutable probe through the ventilation slots could contact the chassis or other live parts.

But would any of these result in a PAT fail?

If so, how can a fan heater pass a PAT test as the live element is accessible through the much larger slots in the exit grille?

Folk whose hobby is restoring vintage sets frequently complain about the loss of rare items because most charity and second hand shops refuse to accept them because they have no-one able to PAT test them or simply because the mains lead has red/black insulation, although it is perfectly legal on any set built pre-1970, so these sets go to the tip instead.

Reply to
Terry Casey

How far back was this? I used to look after the equipment for a local pop group in the mid 60s who appeared on BBC radio on several occasions - sessions at BH, Maida Vale, The Playhouse Theatre, Camnden Theatre and the Paris, amongst others.

The only comment about the equipment was when the lead guitarist was tuning up and using his new fuzz box.

The studio engineer came in and said "We seem to have a bit of distortion", to which John replied "It's a fuzz box - everybody's using them these days".

To which the reply was "Can we be different and do without it?"

Reply to
Terry Casey

Only things that are going to be used need to be PAT tested. I have a work bench with a pillar drill that failed it's H&S inspection about 7 years ago. The failure was not fixed. About a year later the H&S people returned and asked me if I was worried that the drill doesn't meat the H&S requirement I said no ,not really, because I won't allow anyone to use it, and they smiled and left.

It is a shame but if such places knew better, they could advise on what should or could be done. Anyone watch salvage hunters, they buy lots of old lights but have to rewire them to current ;-) safety standards before they can sell them on to be used.

I'm not sure if you could sell something with the idea that it is not meant to be used.

You can buy guns ok providing they can't easily be fired, but the law does get more complicated then.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It's clearly fallacious if that's what you mean.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That must take the prize for the silliest post of the year.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You can drive old cars without brake lights/seatbelts and really old ones with barely any brakes on the London to Brighton 'old crocks' race.

Reply to
Max Demian

Well, if you think that a vintage TV isn't going to be used, explain why large numbers of these are sold in the UK?

The most commonly used one is: SCRF405A PAL(625)to 405/25i with RF System A modulator.

The 625-line signals come from DVD players and Freeview Set Top Boxes

Here's a distribution system I designed:

or

As you can see from the large number of 8-way taps, it is capable of feeding lots of vintage TVs!

Don't be fooled by the description 'SHED'. Think Swiss Chalet!

From memory from when I surveyed it, it was 10m x 11m.

Gerry Wells, who owned the property, sadly died since that network was installed and the house has now been restored to domestic use but the rest of the sight was left in trust to the British Vintage Wireless Society who are currently in the process of providing addition building space on the site.

Reply to
Terry Casey

My 1937 mains lead is still ok & compliant. Many that age aren't of course.

Can be an interesting question how one can make noncompliant antiques safe.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

that shouldn't change the live chassi issue, but the connectors are mostly not compliant - touchable live pins, no cordgrip. Can be bypassed.

Fit felt washer, cut one if necessary. A soft epoxy resin over the set screw.

as long as it's not touchable. If it is, affix plastic netting.

the connector usually

not IME. A lot of vintage heaters are fails by design.

or ebay

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

your point that not being harmed equals safe certainly was. I think we can agree on that.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Feed mains through an isolating transformer ?

Reply to
charles