PAT

Doesn't the WI group have their own projector that could be used? If not, the speaker should provide her own extension lead if she's worried.

Reply to
Dave W

"otherwise we can't let you connect that to our extension lead!"

Reply to
John Rumm

As with anyone in the group, with time you get to learn which posters have useful knowledge on which topics.

However I suspect in this case most are having a sense of humour failure!

Reply to
John Rumm

It was satire. He said "I thought all the idiots on the NG were taken up by Brexit."

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You're just trying to make out it's complicated in order to preserve the status of the 'expert', same as lawyers try to make house conveyancing sound difficult.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

All this just to look at a few pictures of flower arranging or something equally pointless.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You are totally missing the point.

People have a right to be safe whatever the activity.

Maybe if she can get someone "to be bothered" to inspect the cables and equipment in the hall it may be a life changer for a potential victim or two.

"Ownerless" cables are very vulnerable to abuse, you wouldn't know that though would you? It takes experience and a vision of the potential problems to arrive at a decision as to the best approach, not just a simplistic I can google PAT response.

If you do post advice it is best to know what the hell you are talking about.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

He is probably looking out for himself. Surely if there is a system in place for this at the hall then it will be obvious as it will have stickers on it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think to be honest its better to use a brand new one. It has been my experience at church halls that the kit there gets a lot of abuse. Cables where the outer is pulled from the cable grip, worn sockets and loose connections in the socket r plug, if its not a moulded on one.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

New kit is accepted as being "safe" for a period of time but I don't think there is any fixed PAT interval. Most of PATing is visual/common sense, the "plug in a box and press a button: [pass/fail]" just catches hidden miss-wiring (moulded plugs...) etc.

The interval really demends on the kit and it's use. I'd say 12 months is too long for an extension lead used by all a sundry several times a day. Generally people haven't a clue how to coil/uncoil/layout/plug/unplug things and an extension used in such an enviroment will take a hammering. Mnay people are also happy to use obviously damaged cables/plugs and/or not report such things to the owner.

A bit of kit carefully and properly installed into a rack and not disturbed again, 5 years would be acceptable.

In this case I'd say the guest speaker is trying to avoid having to use a lead that may be "unsafe". So why doen't they bring their own, known "safe" lead? Presumably her projector etc is PATed (if not why not if it's being used in a "public" place?), so why not have their extension checked when they have that checked?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed,so. It's up to the owner to do a risk assessment to determine the frequency of testing and always has been.

Reply to
charles

Yep, but remember a PAT is like and MOT only valid when it's done. If later the day of the PAT someone yanked the lead and pulled the sleeve out of the grip say, it's be a PAT fail and shouldn't be used regardless of any PAT sticker.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I bought some brand new equipent, but I didn't like the look of one item, It failed on the earth continuity test.

Reply to
charles

It shouldn't be, but try telling the local council that.

(and the sleeve was pulled out of the heater end of the flex,which could be said to be even more dangerous as a pull on the plug end has a chance of disconnecting without leaving exposed live wires).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Resolved - one of the committee has a husband who has access to a recently PAT Tested and stickered lead for the event.

I think it is all about just keeping people happy.

I suppose the presenter was trying to avoid any blame if a faulty lead had been provided due to her requiring one for the presentation. Avoiding liability by being seen to be taking every step to ensure safety.

Seemed an overkill.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

bzzt.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

maybe in another 200 years that'll actually be possible. IRL there are hazards in pretty much everything we interact with.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is that the sound of someone getting electrocuted because of a dodgy extension lead?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Of course. I wasn't disputing that; merely making a general philosophic remark about the futility of much human activity!

Yes, but it would be much safer if she didn't drive to the hall at all. In fact we should all stay in bed all the time.

Why wouldn't I be party to something so obvious? Or did you resort to cheap sarcasm?

Many of the people in this group will have enough experience and knowledge to test a mains extension lead. That includes me, but the way you're carrying on about it makes me wonder if your own incompetence in this area has led to you causing deaths and/or fires? You certainly do seem to be very twitchy about it.

Yes that's true. Luckily I am. I live in the real world of proportionate risk assessment. I've been using and testing mains leads for donkey's years. But remember the golden rule:

Black to red Red to Black Blue us to bits

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I think there's too much reliance placed on stickers. The sticker is only a sticker. From what I've seen of PAT testing it's largely a box ticking exercise. I've seen some utterly silly decisions by PAT testers. I'd rather rely on my own judgement and experience than on that of some half-trained kid.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright