My garage has an Asbestolux? ceiling. Can I have it plastered over?

So do the other 27 flat owners in this block, as far as I'm aware. I want to work in the garage, so can I have it plastered over, or does it need to be removed completely? A very nice old neighbour told me I should let sleeping dogs lie. But then, I don't think he wants to tinker about in his garage.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

He is right. Unless you intend to drill holes in it or abrade it in any way, just ignore it.

Paint it with oil-based or intumescent paint if it bothers you.

Do you mean 'ceiling' or roof ?. Are the garages at ground level with the flats above ?. If so, that is your fire barrier and the freeholder is responsible for it. If you do anything that might affect the fire resistance then you are liable.

Reply to
Andrew

It does bother me, if it can be regarded as a health hazard. And I like the idea of minimum intervention, so painting the ceiling seems like quite an attractive idea.

Ceiling.

They're separate from the residences but I suspect the asbestos ceiling is meant to be a fire stop anyway.

Maybe the fire resistence would be somewhat affected by the application of paint.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

+1. It's worse than cement board for letting the fibres "fly"
Reply to
ARW

Its a cement board with fibre re-enforcement. So in itself if left undisturbed, very low risk with only a small amount (~5% IIRC) white asbestos fibre.

No risk at all unless you are machining it. So if all you need is a ceiling, paint it and leave it alone.

If you must remove it, damp it down, and double bag it before taking to the tip (many will take that kind of asbestos panel in small quantities).

Reply to
John Rumm

I thinke I'll go for a coat of paint. A thick one. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I do see a few danglies along the cut edges, which I hope to tame.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

don't cut or mess with it and it will be fine ......no health danger ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It's only a hazard if it's releasing fibres. As long as it stays intact it's ok. Paint or plaster help seal it up.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Can ayone recommend the most suitable paint for this purpose? That is perhaps one with an empahsis on it's sealing, barrier-like qualities rather than decorativeness?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I looked at a bitumastic paint for the outside of such a roof - the instructions included cleaning the roof with a wire brush! This is for a paint intended for the purpose - I didn't use it.

Reply to
PeterC

You want gluing ablity & waterproofness so it stays there. Bitumen, household gloss.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you do decide to get rid of it I'll have some.

I'd like something fireproof behind the cooker and the electrics board.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Are you into cooking exceptionally spicey food?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I don't know about Owain, but some people do like to incinerate their food.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I prefer "well done".

Or at least "bugs killed".

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Painting with SBR also works very well to soak in and consolidate anything lose or friable IME. (much more effective than PVA)

Reply to
John Rumm

SBR is designed for bonding cementitious materials. Often used as a admix for waterproofing and as a bonding agent, it also can be applied after as a sealer, tanking agent, or anywhere you need stuff stuck together with something that penetrates. (I find it very good for fixing loose skim coat on plaster for example).

E.g.

John Rumm

I'll give that a go. Can I paint on top? White for extra light.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Yup, it dries to a slightly shiny clear finish a bit like PVA. You can certainly overpaint with oil based paint or primer. You can probably do it with emulsion as well, as long as you don't overdo it. Its quite thin, so tends to sink into anything porous.

Reply to
John Rumm