PAT test and a H&S report

I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report.

However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail?

ARW

I was under the impression that PAT testing was done with the equipment unplugged.

There is nothing wrong with the distribution board. There is nothing wrong with the equipment.

What are you going to fail it on?

You just pass both items and leave them unplugged, perhaps with a recommendation that either the plug on the equipment should be replaced and/or a suitable adaptor is used.

I have had (consumer) equipment supplied with the same type of plug but with a 2 to 3 pin adapter where the 2 pin plug is firmly clamped in the

3 pin adapter. I cut of the 2 pin plug and replaced it with a 13A plug (with 3A fuse).
Reply to
alan_m

Meh. In the 80's, Dixons idea of powering up their showroom tellys was to shove the bare wires of about 3-4 sets into a single socket, with maybe a couple of matchsticks.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I notice it is notionally fixed equipment. I would fail it for having a non standard plug with no nearby suitable socket.

You could probably argue the technicalities of that, but I'd still fail it until they either put a matching power bar there or changed the plugtop.

Or that - which is fine.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Round peg/square hole apart, is it really any different to a plastic "earth pin" on so much kit?

Reply to
Adrian

How do you get the 2 round pins into the two rectangular holes without the plastic earth pin?

Reply to
ARW

Yes, it's a fail. All that's needed are the Euro adapters which permanently clip on to those plugs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think we're losing sight that PAT testing is intended tests equipment, not how it's connected together. I think a customer could argue a fail if he's in the know.

I would certainly recommend a euro adapter and I'd leave the equipment unplugged.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Not good practice, but the indivudals items look okay = not a PAT issue is it ? There is no requirement to use "standard" mains plugs on equipment , its not for sale.

Reply to
Robert

That's why you need a screwdriver.

Reply to
Capitol

We used "safeblocks" in the same situation. basically three crock clips and a lid.

Graham.

Isn't it the case that anything that conforms to standards *somewhere* in the EU must be acceptable anywhere in the EU.

E.g. you should be able to wire a house to UK standards in France and have it accepted.

Reply to
cl

No-one's mentioned so far that the euro plugs are unfused.

The socket strip is *probably* fused, but that doesn't mean that it's acceptable to put euro plugs into 13A sockets potentially fused at 32A.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If it is fixed equipment, then it is not subject to PAT testing anyway as it is not portable. .

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Much equipment is made with these clamp plug adaptors now and I see not issue since the best ones have fuses. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have had a tester claim that a 2 ton lathe needed PAT as it was connected to the 3-phase supply with a plug and socket.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes, the pins are the wrong size leading to poor contact and overheating!

Nothing wrong, I guess, if one of those 'permanently attached' adaptors were used - the kind with the non-reversible screws.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not so. It includes the plug, fuse, etc. It also includes suitability for the environment in which it's used (which is why it should be done in-place as far as possible), and you can fail an appliance which has nothing wrong with it if it's not suitable for the use to which it's being put (e.g. a hot air gun being used as a hair drier).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

You use a convenient 13A plug upside-down :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Andrew Gabriel escribió:

They're pretty good, and have a fuse. But a bit bulky. I have several here.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson