PAT test and a H&S report

The photo shows 4 mains leads, all with continental 2 pin plugs (with round pins), plugged into a UK 6 socket distribution board. A PAT test of the distribution board may result in a pass. A PAT test of the individual equipments may result in a pass.

The grey area is how everything is connected together which may be a safety issue but unlikely to be a PAT testing issue.

Reply to
alan_m

Well, grey area. It's about as fixed as most servers in a computer room are - and they are generally regarded as being candidates for PAT.

I take the general view "if it plugs in, check it". I carefully did not say "test" as with Class II kit, there are very limited tests available anyway. Inspection is far more useful and can be done by anyone with a general clue - particularly (with respect to the servers) checking the IEC plugs are still tight and the cables are undamaged and the plugs (at both ends) don't feel hot.

Oh and crap like Adam posted :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, it would not do any hard to check the flex over and ensure earthing continuity (I assume it was a Class I appliance).

I tend to look beyond the rubber stamping BS and say - "could it be a risk and is it easy to check?". If so, then why not...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Doesn't look as if it is. No space at the right hand. Left end appears to have the cable entry but not obvious fuse holder. If it isn't fused that is a fail.

Aye, Not to mention that a euro plug has a pin spacing narrower than a 13A plug.

Euro between pin centers: 18 mm Pins 4 mm dia Spacing between inside faces of pins: 18 - 4 = 14 mm

13 A between pin centers: 22 mm Pins 6.5 mm wide Spacing between inside faces of pins: 22 - 6.5 = 15.5 mm

The narrow dimension of the 13 A pin is 4 mm but has a higher contact area that a 4 mm dia pin will have in a socket designed for a flat pin.

So a Euro plug doesn't really fit a 13 A socket without being forced and the contact area maybe minimal. Not good and a hazard but a PAT fail? Grey, the individual items can be perfectly safe and correct (assuming the 13 A socket strip is fused). It's the combination of Euro plug in 13 A socket that is wrong, that fails H&S but probably not PAT.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All equipment got a visual check from me every week and earth continuity checking was part of the routine maintenance for both fixed and portable equipment. It was only plugged in because it might, every few years, need to be moved, to make getting other equipment past it easier. A plug and socket meant that could be done without needing me to be present to do the wiring. The armoured flex was protected by the same heavily armoured flexible conduit I used for the final connection to all 3-phase machines and that could withstand a fork truck driving over it.

Reply to
Nightjar

PAT is an acronym. Portable Appliance Test. And anything fitted with a plug is by definition portable. Even if it's screwed down/heavy. So Adam is right. It fails.

PAT testers were designed for idiots that didn't know how to test portable equipment with ordinarily availble instruments. And I suspect for job creation.

Reply to
harryagain

The Frogs have the lowest standards in Western Europe.

Reply to
harryagain

As long as there's a fuse.

Reply to
harryagain

PAT is a nickname - "portable" doesn't appear in the real name. The testing applies to all appliances, except the wiring installation and any lighting which is part of the wiring installation, and also excludes anything else which has its own testing regime defined in other legislation (such as a passenger lift).

Think of "portable" as applying to the tester, i.e. the tester should be carried around to where the appliance is used, and appliances should not normally be moved out of their normal use situation for testing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thus highlighting one of the ways in which those multi socket strips do not actually meet BS1363 - which stipulates there must be sufficient area around the holes to prevent a plug being inserted in that way,

Reply to
John Rumm

I was not aware of such a requirement and I can't see any such statement in BS1363-2 (sockets) or BS1363-3 (adaptors).

Some people have been pushing for such a requirement, but in my view it's completely pointless as you could use something else to open the shutters instead, possibly causing more harm in the process (e.g. permanently spreading the earth pin contacts so they don't make a good contact in the future).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A TV had a 2-pin plug within a 13A plug. I left it as it was secure. The TV was taken to France, then the 13A top removed and all was well. I've just received speakers with a 2-pin plug so I'm using an adaptor as the current is well

Reply to
PeterC

I'd fail it because of the plug. AIUI 2 pin round pin plugs are only permit ted for items one would expect to use in the bathroom, or if an adaptor is fitted that can only be opened with a tool. Suggest putting in the contract that you can automatically carry out any necessary minor repairs for an ad ditional £1 or £1.50, which covers plugs, fuses & similar.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There's plenty one could say about PAT testing on the wiki, but is it diy... well, some folk diy their own PAT testing. There's also no lack of sites covering PAT testing out there.

We have a tester somewhere round here that's passing class 1 stuff wired with speaker wire and so on. Probably just plugs things into a tester, and if it says ok out it goes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I was once checking an office for PAT validity dates, and noticed an untested plug-in air freshener. We were a little unsure exactly what could or should have been done with it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

relabel it as an air polluter? New goods don't need PAT testing AIUI.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

but if PAT testing is done in bulk every so often, better to test now so it won't exceed its test interval later.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

and how long does that "new" category last? Being suspicious, I PAT tested

4 new theatre lights a few years ago. One failed with no connection between the earth pin on the moulded plug and the metalwork of the case.
Reply to
charles

On 24/03/2015 00:22, Nightjar All equipment got a visual check from me every week and earth continuity

I wonder if that's the same sort of armour that was used to connect the machine my father accidentally drove over in the '60s and got a 440V shock from it.

Reply to
dennis

AIUI the usual test interval for the item.

Yes... there's certainly new equipment I'd not pass out there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222