PAT test and a H&S report

I doubt if you will get away with passing on the problem.

Reply to
dennis

You don't need one on those cr@p power strips, you just put a plug in upside down and it opens the shutters. They should fail the PAT but never do. I wouldn't have one anywhere kids can get to it as having shuttered sockets is a really good idea IMO.

Reply to
dennis

No - most modern Meggers (being multifunction machines) will measure earth continuity.

What they cannot do is the so called "bang test" where they whack a decent current through. I am not even sure if PAT testers do that anymore - it's been a while.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It was an all-in price for the whole factory, so I didn't feel it necessary. As it was, after he discovered his test equipment didn't have an IEC 60309 3P+E 32A socket he quietly ignored the lathe.

Reply to
Nightjar

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

It'll be fused in the plug...

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The one I had could also check for short circuits.

Reply to
charles

It does by those instigating it otherwise they wouldn;t have bothered. There is a little contention here as what happens if someone does get killed and the equipment had passed it's PAT test, no one seems to be sure what differnce a PAT test will make.

Reply to
whisky-dave

£1.27, a proper plug is half that

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A "proper" PAT instrument will record the test details for logging in a database and issuing certificates. Ideally each year's - or whatever period - test should refer back to the logged data to check for deterioration in the readings. These are aspects of the test I haven't seen mentioned in the posts so far.

As far as testing new equipment goes it makes sense to do so. When I was PATting at a Uni. we had a batch of OHP's delivered and not one had the earth connected. I know the manufacturer was at fault but without the test we wouldn't have known they were faulty.

Reply to
george

but you will invalidate any warranty if you cut off the original plug.

Reply to
charles

En el artículo , snot escribió:

Yes, I have several of those. Be warned some come with a tamperproof screw that can only be done up, not undone, which is crazy. Actually, it's hard to see as it's been obscured by a watermark, but the plugs in that auction look of that type.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

the bit about loop holes.

Now would a normal socket on a PLASTIC SURFACE MOUNTED PATRESS:-) pass the same test?

Reply to
ARW

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

It's a fixed item, so doesn't qualify as "portable".

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It means you have a defence and might escape prison.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That's usually the secretary on the Xmas party.

Reply to
ARW

I'd fail it because of the plug. AIUI 2 pin round pin plugs are only permitted for items one would expect to use in the bathroom, or if an adaptor is fitted that can only be opened with a tool. Suggest putting in the contract that you can automatically carry out any necessary minor repairs for an additional £1 or £1.50, which covers plugs, fuses & similar.

And who is going to sign for the minor additional repair cost? The Vogons? This is a multi million pound complex and they need to account for every penny they spend no matter how much it costs them to the to account for that spent penny.

Reply to
ARW

So what is the loophole?

Reply to
ARW

Its no defence against having untrained (in checking the equipment) operators. It could have been PATed the day before and have had the cord pulled enough to damage it. The PAT test won't save you.

Reply to
dennis

Our "secretary" is a bloke.

His actual title is something or the other project officer... No one's allowed to be a secretary anymore.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bollocks.

Reply to