H&S gone mad

Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on and the rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on site if the floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match but not for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Bloody typical electrician - getting paid for *watching* a football match

*and* not having to work - and still complaining!

That's all the insults for now ARW. LOL

Reply to
Unbeliever

Did I mention it's double time on a Saturday? And the coffee was free.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

and next week is the women's under 25s all naturist team...

(Adam is disconnecting the live to the showers as we speak ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I bet it was just instant coffee - not the real thing. :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Why would the number of people there make any difference to whether something dangerous goes wrong? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But I did not have to stay on duty for the massive piss up they all had in the bar after the match. And the lights could fail in the bar. And the floodlights stayed on for another 2 hours after the match to allow the groundsmen to repaint the pitch and change the goalposts in preparation for todays rugby match.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

FA requirement? Too many matches abandoned due to floodlight failure when the home team was losing?

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

There was no home team.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Some of my most boring working days have occured because H&S insisted that someone qualified must be in attendance at a particular time. When I worked not far from you I had to spend a week on nights because it was decided that a system designer had to be in attendance in case something went wrong with the motorway control systems. I spend most of that week sleeping in the canteen and getting paid of money for doing so. I've had similar days and nights in places where SCADA systems had just been installed and for newly-opened sections of infrastructure.

On one occasion I got double-time pay for being a useless spare part. At one level it's very annoying. At another, I laughed all the way to the bank.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I would expect it to be the FA, although probably more to do with concerns over another Ibrox or Hillsborough disaster in darkness.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Possibly. The FA rules did apply to the alcohol rules. ie no alcohol when in view of the pitch.

And I can understand the need for an electrician in a league match. There would be bad publicity if the match was abandoned, extra costs for the supporters buying new tickets, accusations of match fixing, lots of people in the ground etc

But when 22 lads rent the stadium out for their own private match common sense says "we really don't need the electrician". If the lights fail then "tough shit". And how often do floodlights fail?

Also you are hardly likely to have an Ibrox or Hillsborough disaster with less than 100 people occupying a 15,000 capacity all seated stadium (actually 50 of them stay in the bar). I've seen more people at wedding and funeral dos and they do not have standby electricians

To be fair, if the lights go out they still go out even with the electrician sat in the control room. The only difference having an electrician on site makes is that there is a chance the game can be resumed.

The stadium has emergency lighting, a 3 hour UPS (not for the floodlights) and a back up generator.

It could be the stadiums own policy and not the FAs, but IMHO someone has taken H&S and the rules and regulations too far.

I wonder how much the floodlights cost to run:-)?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

So, nothing to do with HSE and everything to do with the damn-fool risk-averse culture we have now?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Was there not a circuit breaker somewhere labelled "big light" or similar? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

No idea. I sat in the control room drinking coffee.

I do know that each floodlight has it's own distribution board and I know where they are.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

How much extra was dennis paid extra for being a useless spare part?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , ARWadsworth writes

At a guess, about 128kW so 15quid an hour (give or take).

Hope the security's good, that's quite a bit of copper.

Reply to
fred

120 lamps of unknown wattage (30 lamps per flood light)
Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sod coffee; what about the Bovril and mince pies?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You're assuming that the pitch has four corners.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright