H&S gone mad?

Any guesses to what item of tool-hire equipment this refers to?

Use: Safety Boots Use: Safety Gloves Use: Safety Helmet / Hard Hat Vertical Lifting Only Keep Load Stable Use: Web Slings & Shackles

Reply to
Andy Burns

Wallpaper steamer?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

something on a scaffold tower or maybe its just a large sledge hammer!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Tea making in the messroom?

What about the full high vis, The CSCS card The reverse parking rules

All to operate a laptop or use a terminal driver in a control panel.

To use the term "safety" is a misnomer. It's damn all to do with safety. It's a bunch of useless tossers who think that the more rules and equipment that are in place the more they can justify their useless existence.

The idiots dont even stop at health and safety now. They want to know how many miles you had to travel to get to site and whether it were a petrol or diesel device that transported you. Then the pillocks dictate that you must be fully covered i.e no short sleeves because of skin cancer. They then go on to enlighten people visiting the toilets as to the colour their urine should be, testicular cancer signs and various other piles of medical info that is best left to the professionals if advice were needed.

Being green hasn't quite caught up with "health & safety" as a refuge for the tossers, but it isn't far behind!

If this seems like a joke, try visiting a water treatment works. In a truly competetive world the idiots that dictate some of this crud would be signing on at the dole office. Sadly there is no true competition and nothing to stop any moron dictating their interpretation of health and safety requirements with the consequential costs. The long suffering public bestow millions on these cretins and have no choice in the matter. The HSE publish some excellent literature firmly grounded in common sense and practicalities. How so many seem to get away with "improvements" to HSE guidelines beats me.

In not one site I have visited have I seen a risk assessment that takes in the risks associated with PPE, in fact if you bring the subject up you do get a few blank looks.

One thing you will not see on noticeboards are items detailing accidents relating to PPE. There was a spate of them by one contractor for a while, but PPE related incidents no longer seem to be communicated. It may perhaps give the poor victim ideas that some of the garbage they have to wear is not that safe after all, and lead them on to the solicitors office.

AB

Reply to
Archibald

Nope, an RCD tester

Mammoth seems to be an online discount arm of Hire Station, I know the in-branch rates are often negotiable, the rack rate of a wacker plate is £84.72 for a weekend, the mammoth price I paid was £27.54

The only rankle is they insist you purchase a full tank of fuel at £11.10 (you can return it empty) which I though might be an overpriced 1 gallon or so capacity, turns out it's only 1.2 litres, so about £41/gallon!!

Reply to
Andy Burns

I agree with all that. It was pretty bad back in the 90s, but now, blimey.

Of course one bloke i worked with did everything asked of him and sweated buckets in hot summer days, got sent home with heat exhaustion, so the fluid intake was added to the hse rules, but while at home he slipped on a glossy magazine his sun left on the floor and p broke his ankle. Accidents happen, that is t really the message and some people need to teach common sense to the masses and not try to second guess every possible scenario in life. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There is also the other aspect. All these people that need to be told to wear appropriate, required PPE, not jump into the nearest confined space etc, will go on to produce offspring in need of ever increasing amounts of supervision and guidance.

I can't help but think that we have penalised future generations quite enough with global warming, pollution and planet pillaging. Now we will supply them with with a sub class the like of which would certainly remove Darwins "street cred"!!

AB

Reply to
Archibald

Actually, though if you want to enforce survival of the fittest, then I would have been killed off as soon as my sight got bad enough to make me have a fatal accident. As it happens, I decided not to have kids and pass on the genetics, but the thing is that the common sense aspect is more to do with nurture than nature, and should be taught, just as tolerance for other peoples beliefs should be. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A debateable point of view.

Obviously your ancestors were not prone to having accidents too early in life.

Perhaps they might benefit in other area's. I get the impression that they may have had a lot to thank you for.

but the

Hmm, I always equated common sense with intelligence i.e The ability to transfer something in One's experience or learning to a broadly similar situation.

I am in full agreement with the tolerance to others beliefs. All that's needed is a bit of pentathol to find out who believes in what, then the liars could be identified and their followers enlightened or reprogrammed.

A. Blair would not require pentathol BTW

AB

Reply to
Archibald

Now if it was a megger tester I would agree with the gloves.

It is my duty to get every new apprentice to hold the cables when I do a

500V test...
Reply to
ARW

And this:

has no mention of anything beyond gloves despite being able to pressurise pipework to 78 bar!!!

Goggles would not be a totally stupid idea seeing as a fitting might come hurtling towards you!

Just goes to show what a lot of old bollocks these warnings are - bear no resemblance to reality either way.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I guess you could drop it on your foot.

You say "duty" like you don't enjoy it. ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

I've had that. We were testing a compressor meant for a North Sea rig and it had about 150 bar behind it - quite frightening as it whizzed past my head.

When I left the company they were just quoting for a unit with 8500 bar discharge pressure - eek!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

That isn't such a bad thing, given the propensity of fitters & the like to put oily (and hence carcinogenic) rags in their pockets. Their were signs about testicular cancer in WD & HO Wills fitting shop when I worked there in the early 70's, so not a recent thing.

This isn't an email, it's (probably) impossible to transmit viruses by Usenet, the line is too long and the sig separator is broken. Could you sort this out, please?

Reply to
Huge

Baby sling.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

My guess would be everything when it is added to the web site, until somebody modifies the boiler plate entry for individual items.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You mean a trebuchet?