The original Photoshop 7.0 (not elements) will not save any files to disk.

Hi all, I apologize if this is too far off topic, I cannot seem to find an active Adobe Photoshop group?

I have a new desktop computer with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It has a: 120GB SSD Drive for the system and program files and a 2TB SATA Hard Drive for the data files.

The original Photoshop 7.0 (not elements) will not save any files, it reports the disk is full, when the 2TB SATA Hard Drive has 1.66 TB Free space.

I think I can remember someone saying that Photoshop 7 .0 cannot see a large drive space? If I partitioned the drive into two separate drives would that be ok for Photoshop 7.0 to see? Any thoughts on size, if made into two they would each be under a TB

Thanks for any help, Mick.

Computer system: Novatech Black NTA31 - AMD FX-8 8320

16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory 120GB SSD Drive 2TB SATA Hard Drive Radeon R9 270 2GB Graphics 600w PSU Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Operation system. [
Reply to
Mick

I'd slit it anyway - make a small area for the operating system and indeed your home directory, and a huge sort of dustbin for your videos...

Its a shame that you cant cross mount like linux..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

While the s/n has gone up a lot of late, I'd expect rec.photo.digital members could help.

Reply to
RJH

In message , Mick writes

It would only take a couple of seconds to test - run diskmgmt.msc and create a small VHD to save to.

Reply to
Nick

Given how truly prehistoric PS7 is now, might it be worth upgrading?

CS2 (merely ancient in comparison) is downloadable with no activation requirements from Adobe's website.

Reply to
Adrian

On 16 Mar 2014, Mick grunted:

Are you saying this is a new fault on an existing system, or that you've just bought a new system and Photoshop doesn't work?

If it's the latter - I'm pretty sure v7 isn't officially compatible with Windows 7 (although it may work 'in part', ie which is what you're seeing).

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks, The good part of Photoshop 7.0 is tool presets can be saved and corrections made manually to suit!

I have Photoshop Elements 8, but adjustments seem to be only by auto means, I would prefer to do them by eye.

Mick.

Reply to
Mick

Photoshop 7.0 works ok on my other Win 7 64 bit computer, with a Hard Drive less than, 1 TB.

I bought the new computer with a more powerful CPU and 16 GB of memory for better working, I was hoping to hear from another user that reducing the hard drive petition size would solve the problem.

I have looked at doing the partitioning on the 2 TB drive but, think it best to get Someone who knows better how to do it, and was hoping I am on the right track!

When I first installed Photoshop 7.0, it saved ok to the C Drive, but that is a small STD and I need to save them on the bigger data drive. Mick.

Reply to
Mick

He's effectively got a seperate partition for the OS and apps (the

120GB SSD) so the only benefit to splitting the 2TB (1.79TiB) HDD would be to overcome an address wraparound issue in Photoshop 7.0 (most likely at the 1TiB mark so worth a punt - there's only some 300 GiB's worth of data to backup if he wants to play safe rather than trust the partitioning tool to keep the data safe).

In this case (playing safe), once you've made a backup of the data, you might as well just use windows disk manager to delete the 1.79TiB partition and create a couple of 930MiB fast formatted partitions and restore the backed up files (far quicker overall than having a third party partition manager such as Paragon Hard Disk Manager do it all for you).

In fact, he can test whether reducing the partition size below the

1TiB limit will sort the issue out before restoring the files. If reducing the working partition size to just below the magic 1TiB point doesn't help, he can swiftly redo the split to a 25/75 (or 75/25) and try again with a sub 512GiB volume (My money's on it being a 1TiB issue though).

When it comes to partitioning a largish HDD for data use only, I prefer to create a single extended dos partition and split the space into logical disk volumes. That way there's no issue of 'accidently' installing an OS onto _this_ wrong drive if and when you decide to do a fresh install of windows (onto the one and only drive with primary dos partition on it - in this case the 120GB SSD).

Reply to
Johny B Good

Looks pretty similar to previous PS elements to me.

Menu/Enhance/Adjust Lighting/Levels (keyboard shortcut gets you to the standard dialogue box where you can adjust black/white/mid tones for RGB or each colour individually, with preview.

Then you've got Menu/Enhance/Adjust Lighting/Shadows/Hoghlights and Menu/Enhance/Adjust Lighting/Brightness/Contrast for alternative ways of adjusting exposure. There seem to be a few other ways of manually tweaking the image as well .

Reply to
Bill Taylor

Hi, thanks for replying. This seems a lot more complicated than what I am used to with Photoshop 7.0, but I will give it a go!

What programme apart from Paint Shop Pro, could I upgrade from Photoshop 7.0 to?

Mick.

Reply to
Mick

Even quicker, see if he can save to the SSD...

Reply to
John Rumm

A later version of photoshop perhaps?

As someone else mentioned, due to an Adobe cockup, PS CS2 is available for experimentation (only "legit" if you already own CS2 and need to reinstall technically speaking!), but fully functional.

Reply to
John Rumm

This is basically an issue with partition size... the 64bit OS can use and report drive sizes larger than those that were plausible when PS 7 was written. Hence it probably does not expect or allow for a return value from the OS partition space checking functions that is large enough. Hence it ends up just looking at the low order 32 bits of the return value (and probably a signed 32 bits as well) and so sees a very different number from that intended (possibly even negative drive space!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi, yes Photoshop 7 .0 did save to the SSD ok

Mick.

Reply to
Mick

I meant to add that it will save to a flash drive ok too, so it has to be the hard disc size. Mick.

Reply to
Mick

Hi all, The 2 TB Hard drive was partitioned into two today, and Adobe Photoshop 7.0 is now saving files to the hard drive ok. Thank you for your help. Mick.

Reply to
Mick

It was available, but I think they've removed the key now.

Reply to
Dave W

I think the keys are still on the download page, but the link I used now asks me to log in with a Adobe user ID.

Reply to
John Williamson