PAT test and a H&S report

True it's not allowed I'm not even allowed to change the fuse if I need to open the plug up. Once opensd it has to be PAT tested by someone proficient whatever they decide what that means.

Here we have the standard IEC mains leads which get tested every year at a cost of about £1.49 each. I have about 2-3000 pieces of equipment in my l ab that gets tested every year the testers quite like my lab.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I think you're being a bit overcharged there... I'd try for a volume discount. Base don having done a bit of PAT testing, assuming the leads were all made available to him in one area and it's not a case of crawling under desks for every one, 50p would be more like it...

Reply to
Tim Watts

to open the plug up. Once opensd it has to be PAT tested by someone profic ient whatever they decide what that means.

t a cost of about £1.49 each.

I assume those in charge of this have read the warnings about not employing the cheap testers as they don't do a proper job. Nothing like scare tactics to get mamangment to waste money.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Same as an MOT pass I suppose - it was all right on the day guv

Reply to
bert

No. And when we took the piss out of him later by saying things such as "carefull with that wall" he totally denied walking into the wall.

Reply to
ARW

How many fail the test?

Reply to
dennis

Does it need a fuse?

Assuming a reputable manufacturer, - it's original manufacturer supplied which meet safety regulations for the EU.

Reply to
alan_m

It's the same at my place of work but I'm trusted to work on equipment without covers that contains high voltage, high RF power etc.

The testers from an external company come in around once per year. They are so exited about the drudgery of testing so much equipment. They show their emotions with their couldn't care less attitude and take great delight in putting big red "DANGEROUS - DO NOT USE" stickers on equipment solely because the the serial number is not on their list. The engineers know this, rip of these stickers and continue using the equipment. This may somewhat defeat to idea of putting the same "do not use" sticker on equipment that may have been tested but has failed a safety test.

Reply to
alan_m

Sounds like your company would do better from having a trained and PAT certified on site chap (who could do other duties too). This way, the testing can be done on a cyclic basis and fit around access to equipment. You also would not get this sort of silly bollocks.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was the "competent person" at my last proper job. That's exactly what I used to do. First time we had a wander about to test stuff - oh boy did we find some horrors (1). All fixed by the next time it was due because it was my responsibility to fix the stuff.

(1) missing earths, damaged leads, damaged plugs, hi-pot failures (2) (2) on old XT PC power supplies. We had to change the Chinese Mylar X and Y capacitors for proper ones. About 100 power supplies in total. On some we changed the complete power supply as they would not stand even a

500V test without going "bang!" (3). (3) and then there was the day that the sparkie miss-wired the standby generator so that we had 415V applied to a 240V circuit. That took out 50+ pc's, 10 fax machines, loads of wall-warts and cost him his job......
Reply to
snot

Generally yes unless you can demonstrate that the flex has adequate fault protection from the 32A MCB likely to be at the origin of the circuit.

Many places in the EU will have circuits protected at no more than 16A.

Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe his career is more suited to politics then, but which party ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Flavour of the month/year is to outsource everything (IT/test equipment calibration/HR/building maintenance/cleaning/catering/security) except the core business. It makes things a lot easier when the next lot of redundancies come around.

Reply to
alan_m

we did that with our PAT tester.

but teh big advantage is you can employ more admin staff to look after things they know nothing about, then when things go wrong they can balme the company. Then get to spend even more money on it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You forget the other advantage of having an outsourced IT service that seems accountable to no-one. They can F**k up your work's computer every night with the "Microsoft security upgrades" etc. and then charge to correct the problem. At one time they were supplying computers with very large hard disks but then only allowing a single partition of 20G on which they installed the OS and all the other software. The overnight upgrade would fill the 20G and the next morning the computer wouldn't boot for some strange reason.

Reply to
alan_m

People never learn...

And I bet the money spent would have paid for several good systems managers...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I dont remember them having anything resembling a cordgrip

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not much use for powering a moving bit of kit then.

Reply to
dennis

Sure they were. I was never a fan of safeblocks though, preferred BS372 Clix plugs.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What makes you think an inside the company IT service will be any better?

We have IT support 2 days a week, coming from another site. I haven't seen him for ages; he hides in a part of the building where we don't have access. I think we ask too many hard questions.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris