OT:Stupid speed limits ?

DfT advise a full set of signs to make it absolutely clear what the speed limit is at such junctions (and at roundabouts) because it's otherwise unclear. The Traffic Signs Manual has "This would also aid enforcement where it might be difficult to establish which is the relevant road and which is the other road at the junction."

OTOH some traffic officers may take a different ("see you in court") approach :(

Reply to
Robin

Have residents considered whether some volunteers might be better used at the pedestrian crossing than at the speed check? Porsche drivers may hate slowing down but I'd expect them to hate even more the damage caused to their car by a buggy[1] pushed onto the crossing as they approach.

[1] large doll optional
Reply to
Robin

Whatever the speed limit signs say. Usually its the upper one so they don't put any extra signs near the lights. If its the lower one they put extra signs near the lights. Only a nutcase will accelerate to 40 mph and brake when they get to the other side of the junction. There are a lot that do. But they do it anyway regardless of the speed limit.

Reply to
dennis

Frequency, no.

WQhen I learnt to drive, I was taught to observe carefully and drive within my limits and the limits of te prevailing conditions.

Today I drive loooking at the prevailing legal conditioons, the road furniture and my speedo.

I am far more likely to HAVE an accident.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Usually it's those black strips you see across the road ... called a traffic census.

On my speed awareness course we were shown the recordings from a unit set up after a school headmaster begged the local authority to address speeding before someone was killed.

They clocked 2 cars doing over 90 (this was in a 30) between 2 and 3 pm. (No on the course guessed that, by the way The highest anyone went was

70 ...)

I never really had much time for the lead foot brigade anyway. But that kinda confirmed where the mentality that "speedings OK" leads.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Which ones are artificially low and why do you think they should have set a higher limit and why did they set the lower limit?

There are many factors in setting speed limits, I assume you must know them all to know they are artificially low.

Reply to
dennis

Chances of getting stopped are zero at the lights are of course always at red when I get there.

Reply to
ARW

Precisely, and that is failing to look properly at the ROAD because your eyes are glued to the SPEEDO , or pusszling oujtr what te 125 road sighns along the kerb and pained on the road actually mean...because you have too many points already.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about vision impaired by *internal* factors ?

The number of morons who stick their satnav and/or phone directly in front of them for a start. Then taxi drivers who have satnav, phone,

*and* their company supplied control unit. It's the driving equivalent of wearing a burka.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

With a bottle of ketchup sauce just in case they do hit it.

Reply to
ARW

Most people tend to assume other people are as shit as they are when calling for 'legislation'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"I was caught with an illegal pump action shotgun and I killed someone who was running away and they did me" ?

There were plenty who though and still think he was innocent.

Reply to
dennis

So 30mph is too high a speed limit because some drivers will drive at

30mph regardless of the conditions. Hence the drive towards 20mph, to cater for the stupid majority.

There really wouldn't need to be any speed limits if everyone knew how to drive, but nobody does. Maybe when we all get automated cars the speed limits can go.

Reply to
dennis

Not of murder.

Reply to
ARW

Ah you are the person that lives in the only house on an open dual carriageway with the 30 limit signs all obscured by giant hogweed?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can always spot a good driver that knows how to drive correctly.

Reply to
ARW

no - the open dual carriageways round here have 50mph limits. Something about tehn Surrey Speed Partership and mobile speed detection vehicles

Reply to
charles

I think the only limit they could enforce on the crossing there is pretty clear

Yes, I think that illustrates the uncertainty nicely. But I think the signs are a sensible, practical approach. If some clever bugger going along Burton Road has an accident on the crossroads and wants to argue they were entitled to do 40 there (despite the absence of terminal signs telling them they can) then I'd expect them to face questions about how they managed to accelerate from 30 to 40 in such a short distance. Looks to me to need c. 1g acceleration.

Reply to
Robin

The ones used for these surveys are permanent and hidden. They are used to accumulate data over a number of years and it is important that drivers are not aware of them, so don't change their driving.

I would be surprised if the speed limit were the only law they were breaking. Oddly enough, career criminals don't take a lot of notice of traffic laws, but that does not mean they set the standards for the rest of society.

Reply to
Nightjar

If only mass belief could change facts. Religions would work.

Reply to
Jethro_uk