What are they?

I boarded a loft recently. 1930's terrace house.

During this process I discovered a couple of vertical metal tubes (pipes) of about 10mm diameter sticking up about 3 inches above rafter level. These appeared to be at the corners of rooms where partitioning(?) would meet, or possibly above light switches (I didn't check).

Not knowing what these were and whether I could cut them off I left them be and cut holes in the loft boarding so that they were exposed.

Out of curiousity does anyone know what these are?

Next time I come across these I'd like to know what I can/can't do with them!

PoP

PoP

They could be the old wiring conduit. Although you normally find it has been reused when a house is rewired to save on time and mess.

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They are undoubtedly conduit - possibly as you suggest for light switches, but also possibly for a low voltage bell system - my house has masses of such conduit for both purposes but now disused. The conduit is usually light gauge and made from wrapped sheet - so there is a seam down the length. Joiners and tees are simple clamps.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Gas for wall mounted lighting? But I wouldn't expect that to be near room corners more likely to be at wall middles.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Andrew Mawson wrote

That was my first thought too, but another possibility is tubing for gas lighting. I found lots of this in my 1927 house, but it was galvanised threaded iron pipe, 3/8" and 1/2" diameter. It would be unlikely in a corner of the room, though.

There was also a 1½" dia galv pipe in my loft, once used to deliver water up to the tank in the loft from the underground water storage chamber in the garden. The man next door told us when he was young he was frequently given the arm-aching job of filling up the tank with a hand pump as a punishment!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Conduit for TV co-ax ?

Reply to
Soup

Like others have suggested I'd say wiring conduit. Our house is full of the stuff in the walls and under floors, most of it still has the old wiring in, though I hasten to add we're not using it :)

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

My mums house built 1953 is covered in it, with original wiring, none of which has ever gone wrong. Rubber coated cables in steel pipes seem very stable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the 1930's they didn't have TV..... ;)

PoP

PoP

Yeah they did - for three years from 1936 to 1939, transmitted in the London area from Alexandra Palace.

The transmitter was redeployed for electronic counter measures during WW2.

However, I'm wondering whether another alternative might be gas pipes for lighting considering the size.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

OK then Radio co-ax. rofl

Some radios require an external aerial, so maybe leading radio antenna wire from an external aerial to the radio set ?

The house is '30s but perhaps this conduit (think we all agree it is some sort of conduit) was added at a later date

Reply to
Soup

Nope. VHF/FM radio didn't start until the mid 50s.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ours isn't rubber :o)

It's a pity that the ham-fisted fool who originally rewired loved surface mounted conduit/sockets/switches so much - the original stuff was lovingly (ok, it was all they had I guess) put into nicely crafted wooden boxes for surface mounting or put under the floor in the metal conduit. Nice job.

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

In message , Andy Hall writes

I go for the electrical conduit.

Our '30's semi had the original (AFAICT) lighting wiring in place and in use when we bought it 6 years ago. It was run in small diameter conduit just as described by the OP.

I could possibly have reused it for running new cables, but it was easier just to put in new and ignore /remove the old.

Reply to
chris French

No way. In those days we used to string long bits of insulated wire - or bare copper and porcelain insulators - from the roof, and take the receiever earth out to a stake in the ground.

Its power conduit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A similar sounding thing in my house is old pipes to put lecie cables in.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper