'Cast' kitchen doors

I'm trying to find the name for a type of kitchen cupboard door.

They're made of chipboard, but then have a plastic surface moulded around them - as if the chipboard has been put in a mould and surrounded in molten plastic (Not sure what type. PE? PP? ABS?). The result is a door that has a full continuous plastic coating - even inside - which ends up very sturdy.

I've seen laminate covered doors, where the laminate eventually peels off the edge. There's also vinyl wrap, which at best seems like a form of shrinkwrap or worse sticky backed plastic, possibly with various foil composites. And then 'lacquered' doors, which seems like a fancy word for 'paint'. But not anything like this. It could be a casting or an injection moulding, but searches don't find anything that matches for those.

Can anyone suggest what this technique might be called?

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo

Well if you don't know what is inside its a little hard. What about holes for handles and hinges? Are they proper screw holes or those often used on hinges in chipboard doors with the cut out and the edges of blades rotate to gouge into the chipboard either side? I notice that my loo seat is much as you describe, IE wood inside and plastic outside with just holes for fixings etc It was sold as Wood Composite, but I guess that is rather like saying its wood Jim but not as we know it! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't remember, but so far as I know it's just chipboard inside, so holes are drilled through the plastic into the chipboard. It is possible the circular hinge cutouts are routed before casting but I suspect not.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I don't know, but the kitchen here seems to be of that type. The hinges are the only thing with a brand name on that I can see: "Blum".

Maybe this one isn't as impressive as the one you're speaking of; the plastic is lifting off from the chipboard below in many places.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida