Congratulations sir, you are safe!

Wonderful. Phone rings..

"I am from BT Openreach etc etc...we are going to cut off your internet because someone from outside is using it"

"Oh, that's very clever of them"

"Are you sitting near a computer connected to your router?"

"Yes"

"Can you see the key on the bottom left of the keyboard called CTRL?"

"Yes."

"What is the key next to it?"

"It's the 'Windows' key".

"OK, I want to to press 'CTRL' and the 'windows key' together and release them together.

"OK"

"What do you see?"

"Applications"

"Applications sir?"

"Yes. It's my Linux main menu"

"You have a Linux computer?"

"Yes"

"Congratulations sir, you are safe."

/dial tone/.......

ROFLMFAO.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't even have a Windows key.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I do, and nothing happens. I haven't mapped it to anything.

Reply to
Huge

Bob Eager pretended :

I have, I have lots of them stored in a drawer to lock the window handles with.

Ctrl + Win does nothing on my laptop????

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Apparently it is ctrl win +r which gives you the run command they then get you to run something

Reply to
FMurtz

Not here - in my newsreader it brought up this quoted (r)eply, in Firefox it did a (r)efresh.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In article , The Natural Philosopher scribeth thus

One of our girls at work had this happen this morning she was just about to run something then thought her governor would never have anything to do with bee tee so she put then phone down on them and couldn't believe anyone would want to harm her computer!

Lovely girl but sometimes perhaps too trusting..

Reply to
tony sayer

Not very clever of you to still be accepting calls from any Tom Dick or Harry in this age.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Neither do I. Or Windows.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What they are usually after is WIN + R to open the Run dialogue box.

Reply to
John Rumm

I kept one on the phone for 20 mins trying to work their way round that one... (I told em I had an old IBM keyboard and there was no windows key)

Mysteriously the "Run" option was not on the start menu either ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Do you have a Penguin key instead? :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

John Rumm presented the following explanation :

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Nope. I suppose I should have a Beastie key.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have a cog wheel instead of either of these.

Reply to
charles

Thanks for the tip.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was going to say, I don't think it does anything unless you use a third key. I think if they rang me I'd say no, I cannot see the control key. Why not, Because I'm blind. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No just windows R will open the run box.

Is this a do it yourself virus infection tutorial? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Tom and Dick can call, but I draw the line at Harry.

SWMBO answered this at 2pm

Graham.

Not when I've strung them along for a while. They take you to the events log and point out the errors in there to demonstrate you have a problem. Then they start to relieve you of your credit card details...