Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

I can no longer activate Windows XP on my desktop computer, even using the various go-arounds offered on the net. I can afford Windows 10 and so on, b ut I have given too many hours over the years to its Regedit, restore yada features. I do not need bells and whistles. I need a decent word processor, spreadsheet, pdf viewer. I have a small Chromebook as my second computer. For anything serious, I can use my little Chromebook or go to the public li brary.
I am ready to try a free alternative operating system, such as Linux's Ubun tu.
If you use a free operating system, can you post your thumbs up or thumbs d own for it compared to Windows?

I had Vista on my old computer and son, who is computer type guy, could not fix it when it slowed to a crawl so wiped it and installed Linux.
Worked fine when he did it in his home on ethernet but when I got it home I could not get it to work on wifi. Son had no fix and I figured computer was maxed out and bought new Win 8 now Win 10. Win 10 can be a PITA but you can tone down a lot of intrusiveness and easier for someone like me that is not a computer guru.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have the "Mint" distribution. When you say "free", you mean you won't pay any money--and you are correct about that, but learning to use Linux will hardly be "free". Give it as try, you have your Chromebook as back up. What do you have to lose?

Other than a lot of time and the rest of your hair???
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

He has been warned! : ) If he downloads Mint, then based upon my experience, he should then head over to Oracle to download and install their implementation of Java, the JVM. Let the learning begin... : )
Bill wrote:

I should add that doing this is free (the associated documentation contains all of the details that you will need).
On 5/26/2017 4:13 PM, Bill wrote:

You are correct according to what I've read. I just googled up doeslinux mint work with programs I use like MS Office or free like mozilla stuff and each had some comment on how to get these programs to work on that OS. I would also like to be free of Microsoft but programs are all set to use there.

    Java is not needed for ANY everyday utils like word processor, browser, email client, music and video player, text editor. (Suggest LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Audacious , VLC and Leafpad respectively, but you can find dozens of alternatives in the package manager.
    As to dists, Mint for absolute newbies (it's be something like your ChromeBrick), or maybe PCLinuxOS
    There are a lot of choices:
    http://distrowatch.com/
    The main thing is, DO NOT INSTALL anything other than what your package manager offers. Installation is automatic and all dependencies are taken care of by the manager.     Anything downloaded separately (like Oracle Java) will be a massive security hazard, and unless you are proficient with fixing Linux code, avoid it like the plague.     HTH     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Shadow wrote:

You don't trust Oracle, or is something else going on that I am unaware of? One of the reasons I installed Linux (on the side) was to have a "sandbox" to run Java applications that I don't have to trust.

    Every Java runtime update "fixes" a number of "critical vulnerabilities" that can allow remote access or execution and are being exploited in the wild.     The funny thing is the vulnerabilities are always introduced by previous updates. They weren't there before.     So I don't trust them.
    Same with Win 10. "Security updates" disable anti-datamining fixes and open your PC for exploit. Which is why anti-telemetry software is updated every time an "official" patch comes out.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

alt.os.linux.mint Good advice from good people.
I can no longer activate Windows XP on my desktop computer, even using the various go-arounds offered on the net. I can afford Windows 10 and so on, but I have given too many hours over the years to its Regedit, restore yada features. I do not need bells and whistles. I need a decent word processor, spreadsheet, pdf viewer. I have a small Chromebook as my second computer. For anything serious, I can use my little Chromebook or go to the public library.

Some people prefer Linux Mint over Ubuntu.
On 05/26/2017 10:49 AM, catalpa wrote:

I run Kubuntu at work and OpenSUSE at home. Unless you're a geek, the desktop is what matters. I prefer KDE, hence Kubuntu. Ubuntu went down the Unity rabbit hole following Microsoft. It went over so well they're dropping it.
Mint is based on Ubuntu but uses the Cinnamon desktop by default. Cinnamon is a child of GNOME and built with Gtk+. You can use other desktops but in my experience with various distros, trying to graft on another desktop can result in sort of an unstable mess.
The other thing to take into consideration is the degree of ideological purity. not using proprietary drivers is pure and so forth but can also result in stuff not working. I ain't pure. I don't lose sleep if NVidia releases a driver that isn't Stallman Pure Open Source GPL as long as it works. After a fwe go arounds with reverse engineered LexMark drivers because LexMark doesn't do Linux and your purity slips. Along with your desire to ever buy a LexMark printer.
As the OP probably has gathered the problem with Linux is sort of like if someone says "I don't like GM cars. Are there any other cars out there?" and the answer is "Ford." There are big Fords, little Fords, trucky Fords, fast Fords....
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Thumbs up.
Fedora user here. Compared to Windows, lots of things work better. There are thousands of free applications you can easily install.
It's free to try and easier to understand which is another kind of freedom.
Most new Linux users start with Ubuntu.
--
Dan Espen

On 05/26/2017 08:10 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
[snip]

I did, in 2010. Then, when they introduced Unity I really didn't like that GUI and switched to Lubuntu, which is the same but a different GUI.
For most problems, I found solutions on the web.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

certainly give it a try.
i've been running Debian for many years and Ubuntu is based upon Debian, but is supposedly easier to use.
there will be a learning curve, but if you have time i consider it time well spent. i like puzzles instead of watching tv anyways... :)
i can't even remember the last time i booted my other machine which has win98 on it, the battery has probably died by now (it also has Debian on it).
songbird
On Fri 26 May 2017 06:59:29p, songbird told us...

Certainly there are alternative operating systems other than Windows. Do I pesonally want to use them? A definite no. I don't want to spend (waste) my time "making" something work, whereas WINDows 10 will be 100% compatible with my hardware, other software, peripherals, all the drivers and firmware, etc. Windows 10 allows me to USE my system rather than playing with it.
I know that all you opponents will not agree. :-)

On Sat, 27 May 2017 04:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

I agree 110% - after working in the computer support business for over 26 years. Is windows perfect? Far from it - but it's about as good as it gets, in the big picture.
On Fri 26 May 2017 09:25:38p, told us...

Clare, I have a similar and lengthy work background. You're right that Windows is not perfect and probably never will be, but for me it's best option and I doubt I'll ever change my mind.
Thanks!

On Sat, 27 May 2017 05:12:54 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Iworkes with Unix and Vines decades ago - and I can truthfully say I do NOT miss it!!!