Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

On Sat 27 May 2017 12:11:23p, Bill told us...

AFAIK, neither are platforms used on desktop computers. Some of Google's software, yes, but not their OS. I use Android on my cell phone and find that it's appropriate there.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Linux Mint on the TV computer... windows7 here, rasperian on a market tracking Raspberry pi 2, Vista on a laptop that will soon be Linux Mint or maybe duel boot to Mint. I've put Linux Mint on other computers for friends and set it up so they can easily use it. Once you get it down... you'll be glad you did. Google and Youtube is your friend... go for it. You can put Linux on a USB and boot from that to try it out and learn the ropes then install it if you think it will work for you.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

What I think you were overlooking is the significance of the platform (when you compared it to MS's product and Apple's products). I heard someone say last week, "The phone is the new TV"; I think it's fair to say that the new "phones" go along way towards replacing a desktop too for a lot of people as well.

Reply to
Bill

Try any Linux or BSD distrobution. You only know Windows cuz all yer friends/associates can give you advice on that particular OS almost instantly. You were NOT born with an inate knowledge of Windows. You jes think you were. Immerse yerself into Linux. It's the only way.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Java is not needed for ANY everyday utils like word processor, browser, email client, music and video player, text editor. (Suggest LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Audacious , VLC and Leafpad respectively, but you can find dozens of alternatives in the package manager.

As to dists, Mint for absolute newbies (it's be something like your ChromeBrick), or maybe PCLinuxOS

There are a lot of choices:

The main thing is, DO NOT INSTALL anything other than what your package manager offers. Installation is automatic and all dependencies are taken care of by the manager. Anything downloaded separately (like Oracle Java) will be a massive security hazard, and unless you are proficient with fixing Linux code, avoid it like the plague. HTH []'s

Reply to
Shadow

On Sat, 27 May 2017 13:54:00 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: gotta replace my keyboard or learn to type ---

NOT HAD TO

Reply to
clare

Linux is a "religion" to some.

Reply to
clare

Not I! I'm pretty much a Linux non-zealot. I jes got tired of having my Windows boxes hacked, so changed to Linux (I still have one XP netbook, which I rarely take online).

Better? Of course. Never been hacked and I have a choice! With Windows, you have no choice. It's as simple as that. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Damn!! I missed this post!!! And everyone else had a lot of constructive stuff to say too! Not fair, not fair, not fair! What ???? I heard that! Life is unfair ??

Linux is technically superior to Windows, and not by a little, but by a lot. Now a days it is as easy to use as is Windows too.

Check our the Live DVD's and see which one your like. KDE was what Windows 7 was based on. Xfce is very sparse and fast (my favorite), Gnome is weird for the sake of weirdness (but some really love it).

Linux's downfall is the lack of applications. There is no Turbo Tax, No Quick Books, No M$ Office (you can get it to run under Wine), yada, yada, yada.

So it depends, a crappy OS with five different apps to do everything and gets infected with the turn of the wind or a technically elegant OS with sparse amount of apps.

Your choice.

Nonsense.

GNUCash

If I don't know what it is, so why woudld I care?

Open Office, Libre Office, etc

Yes, Winblows has more sophisticated applications (a term replaced by "apps". cuz today's kids cannot express 4 syllables), but they are all proprietary. IOW, they cost $$$$.

Yes, Winblows has more "accepted" applications/programs, but only cuz stupid ppl are willing to spend $$$$ to solve their problems. I find it hilarious that kids, today, can type faster with their thumbs than I can by touch-typing on a regular keyboard, yet they are terrified of the command line (CLI). WTF!? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Wonderful list!

I adore Ink Scape and PDF Studio.

Please note that GNU Cash DOES NOT do inventory or payroll.

Never been hacked and I've been using windows since Windows 2. It's as simple as THAT. I started usinf Windows on my own computer with Windows for Workgroups

3.1?.
Reply to
clare

Like I know!? I'm retired. I don't do that silliness, anymore.

Linux is NOT the end all/be all OS. It gives you a choice, which Microsoft/Apple do not. That's my primary point. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

There's just about as many "free" and "open source" stuff for Windoze as there is for Linux.

Reply to
clare

Something I learned many years ago!

FACT: Young Turk programmers, all taking college level CS courses, have to prove themselves by creating/developing a program (application, app, etc). They then offer it for free, online. I usta get all my Windows "freeware" from online Windows repositories. Then, after awhile, if the app is successful (mIRC), they start charging $$ for it.

Linux licenses are typically "copy-left" programs. Look it up! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Who gives a hoot?

Reply to
clare

You don't trust Oracle, or is something else going on that I am unaware of? One of the reasons I installed Linux (on the side) was to have a "sandbox" to run Java applications that I don't have to trust.

Reply to
Bill

That is what I love about Linux too. It is wide open and the innovation is constant.

Apple is the worst when it comes to the vendor lock in straight jacket.

After Frankenstein (w8) and Son-of-Frankenstein (W-Nein, oops, ten) I can't really say what M$ is thinking. I just wish they smoke a better brand of banana peal when they think this s*** up.

WFW 3.11 was sweet! I installed it to solve a zillion problems with Windows, even those not on a network.

Try comparing apples to apples. Have one of your kids configure GRUB and see how fast they type. They don't like CLI because they have no idea WHAT to type and could care less.

Copy a file with a complex file name from one directory to another six levels of directories away, using the CLI. I'll do it with a mouse and we'll see who gets it right first...there, I'm done. CLI has limited utility and even that's because nobody bothered to write a user interface for it.

GUI encapsulates the entire set of command line options and source/targets right there on the screen. You don't have to remember some oddly-named parameter that works differently from the same parameter used with another command. You don't have to know or care whether you have grub1 or grub2 or legacy grub or...It's all right there on the GUI screen for the exact version you're calling.

Reply to
mike