Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

There ARE ways to update "on the fly" and I often let the updates that require reboots to accumulate for a few months before installing them. It is only the updates that cause me to reboot - not failures, generally speaking

Reply to
clare

CERTAIN OEM versions will not activate on hardware it does not recognize, and you most definitely DO need SP3 in order to activate win XP, for several years now. As far as any legal requirement to continue to support "legacy" software? Not a chance.

Ford is not even required to stock/provide replacement parts for vehicles over 7 or 10 years old except for emission parts IF they are covered by warranty.

Reply to
clare

Running a system with known security holes seems foolish to me...but I'm sure you've got an excuse for that too.

Reply to
Roy

Which one does not have security holes?

Reply to
gfretwell

The key is "known" security hole. If there is a "known" hole and a patch available to fix it, it seems prudent to install the patch.

Reply to
Gordon Gekko

The main "security hole" is the operator, not the operating system. I do agree anyone who uses a mail client that automatically opens attachments and embedded objects in mail is begging for trouble. I prefer to pick and choose the "experiences" I want to have. That is why I like to run the AOL7 client. It is too dumb to do anything with malicious scripts (you just get a gray box error) and it does not open much beyond flat text. Most of that crap in an Email is just ads anyway

Reply to
gfretwell

better than a system with un-known security holes perhaps??

Reply to
clare

+1+
Reply to
clare

Yet down the Bell Labs->Bellcore->Telcordia->Ericsson path there are loads of Unix systems. To this day you can even request a desktop Linux system if you don't want to follow the Windows route.

Pretty sure you're going to find lots of Unix at Nokia... Google search...yep. Wayne is full of bull. He sees a question from someone asking which Linux distro to try and butts in with his Anti-Linux Windows Fan Boy stuff.

He keeps saying he's going to go away. The only useful thing he's suggested in this thread.

Reply to
Dan Espen

On Sun 04 Jun 2017 03:17:03p, Dan Espen told us...

LOL

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Lots of people will tell you they "don't need to" (i.e. can't be bothered) to learn new things. Surely the vast majority of computer users don't really like to learn technical things about computers... I learned BASIC after school in 8th grade on a dumb-terminal attached to a mainframe and saved by "files" on paper tape (a number of years before windows), so I'm really not sure what to say.

Reply to
Bill

I bought a DVD drive (IDE connector) today from a second-hand computer shop for $5.

I copied the iso file from the DVD to my hard drive.

I downloaded a free iso extractor and extracted the xbuntu xfce files.

I downloaded free software for burning the extracted files onto a blank DVD-R.

I burned the extracted files onto the blank DVD-R. They seem to all be there, from a review of "Properties" for this drive.

I switched the computer's bios to boot from the DVD.

No luck. I cannot find anything on the net that explains how to create a bootable CD for xubuntu without being connected to the net.

I do not want to get the wifi hardware for my old computer, connect to the internet and be bombarded with updates. Tell me if my approach is hopeless. All other suggestions are welcome. I know DOS command prompt language.

Reply to
honda.lioness

Also, per numerous sites, I tried booting from the new DVD drive, with the iso file for xubuntu xfce on it. No booting happened.

Reply to
honda.lioness

The specific error message I get when booting from the DVD with the xubuntu iso file is:

"Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter."

Reply to
honda.lioness

Copying the files isn't what you want. You need something that will write the iso as a disk image. Otherwise the boot sectors don't get written.

Reply to
cjt

Please share how it works out!

Reply to
Bill

I use Nero to burn ISOs to disk. Never tried it wit a "nix ISO though.

Reply to
clare

It's certainly possible to save an .iso file to a DVD, but that's not typical.

Don't burn the extracted files. Burn the iso.

Find someone with a windows computer. Download the linux .iso. Download and install ImgBurn. Run ImgBurn. click on "Write image file to disc" and point it at the downloaded .iso.

You can certainly do the same thing starting with linux, but I don't know the exact commands to do it.

Reply to
mike

dd from the command line will get the job done but there are several Linux burner apps that make life easier. And safer. When running dd as root you better know that the output device is.

Reply to
rbowman

In K3B, under tools, select burn image.

Reply to