Alternative to flapper in toilet tank?

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats. The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets. Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs. Any idea on what I could use?

Reply to
Calab

For most people, those flappers last for many years without leaking. Do you use any "products" in your toilet to keep them fresh, or color the water, etc? If not, the other thing might be the mating surface for the flapper having minor flaws. A brand new flapper is a little more resilient, so it might overcome those flaws for a while before beginning to leak.

Reply to
salty

Google flapperless toilets. Niagara is one brand.

RicodJour

You may want to try a flapper made of silicone rubber. I believe these are a reddish pink color.

Reply to
Jeff

I would tend to suspect the seat is in bad condition. I know you said you checked, but what you are experiencing is not common. I suppose that some water condition problems could cause short life.

Reply to
jmeehan

re: constantly replacing the rubber flappers on ... three toilets. ...after a few months they seem to distort and start leaking.

Something is very bizarre here. As someone else mentioned, flappers usually last years, and I mean *years and years*. I've replaced entire toilets before I've had flappers go bad.

The fact that you have 3 toilets that are going through flappers every few months is very strange.

You are not going to like this, but since you said you've been replacing them on 3 toilets, and you've "tried different suppliers and grades", there are only 2 common denominators left:

The water...and you.

I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but either you've got some serious issues with your water that's eating away at these things or you're installing them wrong.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hi, That is little intereting. In the past 15 years since I have had this house built, I replaced 3 of them between 4 bathrooms. I don't know what it might be but it sure does not sound right.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sounds like a cleaner that is added. I had a similar problem about 10 years ago and it was a cleaner my wife was adding to the tank. No problems since stopping the addition.

Reply to
Twice Retired

On 9/3/2008 12:08 PM Calab spake thus:

The last time I worked on a problem like this (a toilet that wouldn't stop leaking even with new flappers), the culprit turned out to be a bad seat. Not hard to replace, and should solve this vexing problem for you.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I've had the same experience with those blue tablets that you put in the tank. I had lots of problems with everything in there until a plumber told me to stop using anything in the tank. No problems since.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Three toilets with the same problem?...........Try fixing the problem the right way. Buy quality flappers and do not use any chemicals in the tank.

Here is a good flapper that will last forever

tnom

Are you buying the el-cheapo ones? the better grades last longer.

Hard water shortens the life. But not to the extreme you posted.

The toilet tank cleaners shorten the life of all, even the best. Blue water kills flappers. Especially the cheap ones.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I bet on irregularities on the seat. A new flapper is soft and can conform to the irregularities, but after time, the flapper gets stiffer and cannot handle the roughness of the seat and then the leaking starts.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 12:52:05p, David Nebenzahl told us...

There are kits that include the flapper and a replacement ring/seat that adheres to the existing seat with a waterproof mastic. I used one of these years ago and never had to replace the flapper again.

There are several on the market. Here is one example:

Wayne Boatwright

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but get OEM flappers, not aftermarket ones. I have an Eljer that never worked right with the Fluidmaster or Korky flappers. Once I ordered the factory part by Eljer, it works perfect, and has been for 4 years now.

This place has everything, including schematics of your toilet and each part.

Mikepier

Tell the kids to stop playing in the toilet.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Reply to
Michael B

Reply to
Michael B

I was going to try a power flush but I didn't have a receptacle nearby. There's no way to get power to it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Actually, the product looks interesting. But I had already installed a Leak-Guard flush unit, which can ignore leaks.

Reply to
Michael B