why can't I stop this da** commode from leaking!!!

Alright, after a complete change of the flush valve to brass, fill valve, flapper a few weeks back, this darned commode is leaking again! This is like the umpteenth time it has started leaking in the flapper area and I'm running out of options and patience. Right now, I'm trying to see if the cause is the valve itself or, once again, the da** flapper. I've tried like 4 different flappers on this thing and they seem to work for a while, then start letting water through. I even went so far as a reseating kit which is in place this time and I could hear the darned thing running occasionally yet AGAIN and turning off the incoming water, lost a bunch of water in the tank in about an hour.

I've about reached an impass. Usually I'm pretty good at odd around the house jobs like this, but no matter what I do with this commode, I can't seem to get a good flapper seal. It is an older 5 gal type from the '50's and originally had the brass valves in it. After the servicemaster failed a while back, I went back to all brass and it's still leaking through the flapper.

What gives? I mean, seriously! It shouldn't be this hard to get a seal. No, the tank isn't leaking.... no water on the floor and I've drained all the water down to just above the fill valve (but below the flapper) to rule out leaks around the valve, but been there done that and it wasn't so I'm sure I'm back to a leaky, da** flapper! I've tried Korky, even the one for 5 gallon toilets, the original sealing ball for the brass (before the reseating kit), and some off brand flappers and nothing seems to do the job permanently. It shouldn't be THIS difficult to nail down this issue once and for all!

Reply to
Bill Baxter

OK, it seems to be the CHAIN from flapper to commode flush handle. It's a stainless steel linked type and the links keeping getting caught on one another, incredible! Is there a chain or method that won't tangle here (sigh and eye roll...)?

Reply to
Bill Baxter

Where is it written that it has to be a chain ?

Maybe try replacing with heavy fishing line.

Reply to
Retired

or this:

Smarter Flush SF0700A Flapper Replacement with Chrome Handle by Smarter Flush Link:

Retired

Ok, guys, luckily I had some heavy fishing line around so out came the chains and in went the line, being careful not to make it too tight or loose. I sincerely hope to NOT hear from Mr. Commode again! He/she's been like a cranky baby and won't settle down!

Reply to
Bill Baxter

Thanks. I did try this exact device a few weeks back and it wouldn't even fit into the tank. Once I sort of forced it into place, I then couldn't get it to seal and returned it. A good idea, but too generic for all commodes.

Reply to
Bill Baxter

Bill Baxter wrote in news:n93gps$3u9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Why are you still dicking around with a 60+ year old toilet? Replace it. The savings on your water bill will pay for it in a year or two, tops.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I seriously thought about it, Doug, but "experts" in the field told me that I would hate the newer toilets because they need a lot more flushing to get stuff to go down properly. Maybe BS, maybe not, but decided to continue trying to troubleshoot. It's been good up until the last couple of days. Also, I was having difficulty trying to match the offset "pink" of this 60+ year old Allianceware toilet to the modern equivalent. The better half insisted on the same color and it looked like it was going to be a problem finding one.

Reply to
Bill Baxter

They were right 15 years ago when the first low flush hi the market. Today there are many 1.6 and 1.28 toilets that do a great job. See the other thread about what toilets to buy. We really like the Kohler comfort height, but there are other good ones.

Nothing beats the clean look of a white toilet too. Goes well with pink.

Them experts are probably telling you how easy it is to adjust the carburetor so you don't have that fancy fuel injection.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski