Why can't I return this?

You think you've heard them all, but every day someone come up with a dumber story.

"She was screaming at, swearing, insulting, and threatening the staff as she demanded to return an item she didn't have with her, just a photo of the item on her phone," Sprague wrote in her Facebook caption about the confrontation. "The staff were professional and respectful. But they couldn't return an item she didn't actually have with her."

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Your link is to a story about a woman who coughed on a cancer patient ...

Reply to
Snag

It's the right link.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Correct, that is part of the story if you take the time to look at it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I didn't read all the way down the first time ...

Reply to
Snag

I think they could have accomodated her. Tney could have provided a photograph of some money.

Reply to
micky

Did you bother to read the article??? Abviously not

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Did you bother to read my reply to Ed ? Well , there ya go .

Reply to
Snag

I was in Costco a few months ago to return an item. While waiting in line I watched a woman with a whole flat cart full of about twenty cases of ceramic floor tile that she was returning. She didn't have the receipt, they were trying to find it on their system and she was telling them that it was about 5 years ago when she bought it. They were trying to do the return, not saying no. I got done before she did, so IDK how it ended. I'm actually annoyed that places like this put up with this BS. It just raises prices for the rest of us. Costco will wind up chucking that tile or getting some jobber to take it for $20. I don't even remember seeing them stock that stuff, but I do remember seeing wood flooring so I guess they did.

Another time I watched a woman go right from paying at the checkout to the returns with a large pack of pork chops. I wonder what happened to those? They very likely took them back, but then what? I would think that the policy is likely that fresh food product like that gets thrown away, because they don't know where it's been. In this case it only went 30 ft, but that may not matter.

Reply to
trader_4

I replied to what I had. Your reply had not hit my news-server when I replied.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I forget whehther having the receipt matters on this one or not, but Home Depot after a year or two gives a refund but only about 10% of what you paid.

I can never remember the guy's name, but he had a big department storre in Philadelphia and afaik he started the practice of easy returns, in order to bring in customers and get them to buy before they were 100% positive they wanted something. He has a 3 or 4 syllable name. He also invented the department store Santa and some other marketing innovations, all these to encourage shopping and buying and make himself more money. Had a smaller branch in DC.

Something like Forestal or Sonnenthal

Wannamaker's! That's it. You can read about all his innovations.

The latest iteration of methods to encourage buying is that Amazon gives free shipping on orders no matter how small within 24 hours of an order that qualified for free shipping under other rules, mainly "over $25". This policy does't encourage the second order so much as it encourages the first order. So people won't delay while they make up their mind about one more item.

Reply to
micky

Easiest return I made was Amazon. Tell them you want to return something and they give you an authorization to print. Take it to UPS store. They took it in, packed it and notified Amazon so a credit was issued in a couple of hours.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That looks like about a five hour lag from my time stamps . I KNOW I don't live that far out in the boonies !

Reply to
Snag

It is. The part about the item is there. You can search for "return".

Reply to
Sam E

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 06:15:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 posted for all of us to digest...

I wonder if that was EBT purchase and a cash refund?

Reply to
Tekkie©

Sometimes the return postage can be as much or more than the price of an item. That is their buying price, not the selling price.

I have bought a few inexpensive items from ebay that were not as advertised. Was told to keep the item and the money was refunded.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

OMG! That's racist!

Reply to
Hal Bundy

Ten days ago, when I was having misfire codes (which only appeared once and haven't appeared again, yet) I sent away to an ebay guy for 2 COPs, ignition coils on plug. They arrived today, in a perfect Toyotal/Lexus box, in a floppy USPS priority mail envelope.

However, there was only one of them and its bottom inch was ripped off, in a jagged line through the thick rubber part, with the bottom part still in the bag, and the spring that I think was inside looks like it was stepped on by en elephant.

I wrote him via ebay and got an apologetic, Chinese-tinged, answer only

3 hours later, 7:30 california time, that he was sending two more ASAP.

I think what must have happened.......

...is that it fell on the floor in its bubble-wrap bag, got driven over by a forklift, someone picked it up and figured the tires hadn't hit it, and he put it back in the inventory box. Later someone sent it to me (though that doesn't explain why he only sent one.)

It also occurred to me later that I can probably use one of my current ignition coils when it's bad, to get the part that was ripped off, and still use the electric part of what he sent. So I may end up ahead of the game.

Reply to
micky

I didn't read your story closely enough before I went off on my Wanamaker's story.

If she bought something by mistake, she should have told the checkout person who was standing right there and who would have cancelled the sale and taken the food back. Pork chops are going to be in a plastic sealed tray, right?

What was she going to do at the Return counter. Okay, once, something happened and I had to start all over, and they did make me go to the return/customer service counter to do it. Maybe later the reason will come to me.

And I read Scott's reply to Techhie. Only techie is a big enough pig to suspect EBT when not a word you said implied that. It's more likely it was someone like his wife. And only bundy is stupid enough to think the policy is racist when there are people of all races on EBT, most of them white. Maybe he's against "persecuting" white people. I wouldn't be surprised. I dont' know how those two are not ashamed to go out in public.

Reply to
micky