A little light relief

Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken or weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

My guess is that shelf stackers play pass the parcel with them on the journey from warehouse to shelf.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

EU rules mean they can no longer use as much cardboard in the biscuit recipe.

Reply to
alan_m

You're not supposed to apply cheese directly to the Tuc biscuit. The force of doing that, as well as placing a Tuc against a flat or curved plate, will cause stresses within the biscuit structure leading to catastrophic fracture failure.

The correct technique is to:

(a) place the Tuc biscuit on a surface that will support the biscuit. A silicone baking sheet may be suitable.

(b) apply a layer of butter to the Tuc biscuit with a knife, ensuring that the film of butter always acts as a cushion between the knife and the biscuit.

(c) gently lower the cheese onto the top of the Tuc biscuit until surface tension of the butter film adheres to the cheese but the cheese does not apply force onto the Tuc biscuit.

Any Tucs that arrive already broken should be put aside and used as a crunchy toppping for macaroni cheese.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And I get the same issue with Ginger nuts, where they seem intact until you open the packet, then they turn to fragments. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

In message <qq4mka$gbu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Ah. Long experience has taught me to gently tap any biscuit prior to dipping in a cup of tea:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That is done so that the weevils fall out - acording to CS Forrester.

Reply to
charles

Buy TUC cheese sandwich and the cheese is already applied.

Reply to
Max Demian

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

Yes but, it also avoids the disaster of tea with biscuit sludge in the cup.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Cheese on ginger nuts, that is different ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay

Its not just dipping though its just untidy leaving crumbs everywhere. I'm sure when they were in square packs with corrugated sides with the biscuits flat this never was an issue, its these almost skin tight unrecyclable plastic wrap packs that are vulnerable, as they get fractured due to their being nothing inside to cushion them when they get a mechanical shock.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Do you do as I do and only take biscuit packs from the back of the shelf, which is the least likely place for a shopper to replace a pack they have just dropped?

Reply to
nightjar

Stuff at the back is also likely to be the most recent placed by the stackers, so will have the latest sell-by/use-by date. Not that it makes much difference for biscuits, but it does for stuff that's more perishable.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I take EVERYTHING from the back of the shelf, all the freshest stuff is there.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Even if you're going to consume it straight away? Rather selfish?

Reply to
Max Demian

Why is that more selfish than if going to consume later?

Reply to
Richard

Not really, less stuff gets thrown away thus saving the planet.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I select the packet that is NOT at the front of the shelf.

These are ones that staff and customers have more likely to have dropped on the floor and then replaced on the shelf :-)

Reply to
Andrew

In message <qq5vtg$8l1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

I remember those packets, too. Same packets were used for Lincoln and Royal Scot biscuits. Haven't seen either of those for years.

Reply to
Graeme

I'd prefer not to have to throw away stuff at home because it's no longer fresh. Let the supermarkets do that before I've paid their profits.

Of course this more applies to fresh fruit etc than biscuits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It leaves the option to change your mind, eat something else that night and save what you have bought for another night.

We always go for the longest use by date to give us maximum flexibility

- especially as my wife is ill and often decides she's not up to eating a full meal and will just have a snack and then I generally decide that there is no point is cooking a proper meal just for me. It may then be days before we get round to eating that item.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker