A little light relief

Not only do Rohan last, if there is a problem, their after sales service is excellent. I had a zip fail on a pair of trousers after several years. We were traveling at the time (in the UK) but took them into a Rohan shop. They found me on their computer, told me to pick another pair of trousers, and that was it.

They dry quickly etc, are very comfortable.

My only gripe is they stopped making my favourite winter shirt and I?m down to my last one.

They (Rohan) have expanded into business clothes- although they aren?t as ?smart? as I would like,more the ?European look? than traditional English style.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Only someone who is unfamiliar with traveling would trot out such nonsense.

Having you hand luggage checked isn?t uncommon and takes a moment or two, unless you are difficult. In the scheme of traveling by air, it hardly registers on the inconvenience scale.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Spike hasn?t mentioned his diplomatic passport for ages, he will need to print a new one soon ;-)

Perhaps he is hoping people have forgotten his fantasies re being a secret agent come diplomat come Government adviser come top scientist come righter of wrongs .......

Reply to
Brian Reay

Often BOGOF deals are no cheaper than other retails selling the same or similar at single item prices. Sainsbury seem very keen at selling short lived perishable fruit on a BOGOF basis, or at a very inflated price if you just want the one off.

Its much the same as many deals in the large supermarkets. Tescos new Club card plus costing the best part of £100 per year just goes to show how much they don't value their customers who don't make a £200 shop twice a month.

Reply to
alan_m

And (Bags at least) they have deep pockets! I wore Bags at work from 1984 until I retired in 2015. Still do (but not the same pair!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I?m always intrigued by the obsession Rohan have with ?secret? pockets, especially in shirts.

As for their trousers, I like the convertible ones- ideal when traveling and especially when walking, although the zips in the legs do tend to set of airport scanners and confuse the handheld ones they use to check you with.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I don't feel strongly one way or another about Clubcard Plus but you break even if in 1 or 2 visits a month you spend a *total* of *£80* or more on qualifying stuff.

Reply to
Robin

The nearest I've found in a backpack is the Riut bags. Zips aren't concealed, but they are hard to get to if you are a thief and the pack is being worn.

I use mine all the time. In fact, I have more than one for different payloads.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My wife has used Ocado, Tesco, Sainsburys and Waitrose and had lots of problems. We've lost count of the number of carrier bags of flour that have arrived because sharp objects have been placed in the same bag!

She's now settled on Waitrose and is delighted with the service she gets from our local store (Lincoln).

Warnings of short dated products (few) and sometimes supplied at no charge!

Reply to
Terry Casey

I've never worn any Rohan clothes out. I've torn them etc but they just seem to go on and on. I mentioned the trousers a zip broke on etc. Senior Management had a problem with something (I suspect a blouse) but they replaced it with no fuss at all.

I suspect a thief would just use a knife and cut the pack.

I like the Rohan Expedition shirts (both long and short sleeve). They have varied the design detail, not always for the better, the earlier ones were better. The 'hidden' chest pocket is ideal for a wallet, not only does it have zip but anyone trying to gain access would have to be good to not be noticed.

I watch out for the sales and buy a couple as 'stock' for when I need them- I tend to damage them, I've never actually worn one out.

Columbia do some similar clothes but they are not so easy to find here- at least not the full range. I bought some in the US.

Reply to
Brian Reay

ULtimately, that will always be the case. But the casual thief (e.g. on the Tube) will be defeated. And they are well designed, too.

Me too, although the Riutbag Sling is also useful in that situation.

Same here. I seem to get a lot of money-off vouchers; I haven't paid full price in a long time (same applies with Riut).

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've never seen them in any of the supermarkets I go to. It would be rather inefficient for them to do it like that on any real scale.

Reply to
whisky-dave

A good place to put one's London TravelCard.

Reply to
charles

Last year, elder daughter had a big birthday and I was asked to provide the wine. I ordered 12 bottles of something from Ocado (on offer), so I expected a cardboard box; no - 4 carrier bags each containing 3 bottles - and they charged me for the bags. ;-(

Reply to
charles

I'll take some photos next time I'm in there.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Eh? Two £40 shops a month and the card's paid for. Two £200 shops a month and you've saved £32.

'Saved' in the sense of spending money at Tesco, of course.

Reply to
RJH

It may well depend on where you are. If the supermarket has a distribution warehouse in the area?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And doing the shopping yourself, rather than online.

Online apparently isn't profitable for Tesco (with the picking costs and probably also people succumb less to impulse buys) so this is a way of getting higher-spending customers back into Tesco stores.

Lidl recently did a £10 off £40 promotion voucher in the Metro and Mail anyway.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In the days when the clubcard was free and you could exchange the points for vouchers, we were visiting the West Somerset Railway at Minehead.

I'd just exchanged our vouchers for tickets and, as I was walking away, two men passed me with one boasting to the other how much cheaper his senior citizen's ticket was.

I couldn't resist waving our tickets and saying we only paid

25% with Tesco Clubcard Vouchers!

His mate was livid "Just wait until I get home, I'll kill the cow! I never get to see them - the moment they turn up they go straight in her bag and she goes out and spends them!"

Reply to
Terry Casey

Spend £80 and save nothing.

I'll bet that Tesco has done a lot of research about how much it charges for the card and what the typical big shop amount comes to. The card charge will equal the discount given.

Select your goods wisely. Tesco have been selling the (instant) branded coffee that I prefer at around £7/jar mark for around the last two years. I've been purchasing the same elsewhere for £4.50 to £5 for the past few years. Shopper who only use one retailer can be fooled into believing that the large supermarkets are competitive. A £32 saving on a £400 shop may only be true if you buy everything at Tescos inflated prices!

Reply to
alan_m