No timer on HW/CH system?

If the thermostat or programmer is hard wired and switching mains, surely it would be mains driven, and wouldn't need a battery other than for power fail backup?

Reply to
Graham.

The ones that use a rotary encoder instead of up/down buttons are more intuitive to use. The set-point and the current room temperature should be displayed simultaneously.

Reply to
Graham.

Combi boiler in a flat with just a room stat in the lounge (from what I can see).

Can you get (at a reasonable cost) a simple Clock / timer stat for such circumstances and if so, would / could they be battery powered, assuming the stat isn't currently fed by mains?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Programmable thermostat. £29 + VAT

battery powered, contacts are changeover volt-free

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And the timer for the HW? (sorry Tim I am politely taking the piss - no offence meant)

Reply to
ARW

An any modern electronic room stat provides timing. My controller box is configured to be on for CH 100% of the time and my room stat provides the timing with 4 off configurable on/off periods each with its own temperature for both on and off.

While mine is a wireless module with the receiver fitted to the location of my old "simple" thermostat the mains switching is achieved by use of a relay. I assume any battery run thermostat will have a relay for any mains voltage switching.

Reply to
alan_m

Its a cpmbi boiler with hot water on demand?

Reply to
alan_m

You had me there ... for about a second ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Better, they have a latching relay. So power is only drawn from the battery when turning the relay on or off. No power is needed to hold the relay in either state.

Reply to
mm0fmf

T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> wrote in news:u3bbsetk0orskaor6bpurdf530ipbfee0a@

4ax.com:

/If you have programable temp control then you don't need a CH Timer. If you have a combi then you don't need a DHW timer.

Reply to
John

I had a programmable thermostats timer from Maplins aeons ago.

Would I call it simple?

Not in terms of the kind of users I encounter in my day job!

Reply to
chrispvholmes

But I'll bet that they could program their video recorder/hard disk PVR to record their favourite soap episode or configure their mobile phone for social media.

Reply to
alan_m

and put a dog's nose of their selfies.

Reply to
John

Excellent, thanks very much for that mate. It seems to tick all the right boxes. ;-)

I think it would be used in the 5+2 day mode as one occupant has the weekends off and the other two other days in the week (where it could just be overridden)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think Adam was trying to be funny. I put HW/CH in the title because the boiler does both so I threw that in *in case* there was some special reason there wasn't a timer for the CH already.

Like a fridge needing the heat of an incandescent lamp or a boiler coming on on it's own to prevent freezing etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Mine's got LEDs :-)

Modern boilers will have a frost stat internally but if yours doesn't you can check the instructions for that prog stat to see if it does.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

you can get just stats & you can get programmable stats. Only the latter do timing. Beware of crap UIs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not always. Many modern ones are volt free contacts so there is no connection between the relay contacts and the internal gubbins, which are battery powered.

Means there is no requirement for a neutral at the stat location, just L and Call.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Most of these electronic room thermostats cater for a variety of different configurations so may use battery for electronics and a mechanical relay for switching.

Reply to
alan_m

You are talking bollocks:-)

Reply to