ARW

He'll call it a fork.

Reply to
Richard

Sure, I'm not using it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Having a look though the instructions I'm not sure if this unit is as 'flexible' as I might have hoped, or maybe it is but I just wasn't expecting it to work this way ...

"10. Programming Time/Temperature Periods Note: ? There are no OFF periods with this controller. As soon as a Start time begins, heat will be demanded until the temperature reaches/falls to the selected set point, then it will move on to the next Start time/temperature period, and so on. The closest you can get to turning the TRT035N programmable thermostat OFF, will be to set the selected period(s) to 10°C, this way the heating will not turn ON unless the temperature drops below these set points. ? If you do not want a higher temperature period in the middle off the day, adjust the temperature for this period downward, to match those of the proceeding and subsequent period temperatures."

Anyone care to put that into user friendly terms please?

Like, I would have thought you could set the on / off times and the temperatures for each time. That you could also override it (either way) at any time, or tweak the temp and it would revert back to the pre-programmed routine at the next time interval?

Maybe that's what it can do but the translation makes it sound more complicated?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Aww Dicky, you are *soo* funny!

Seeing as you have jumped onto the bandwagon (/thrown yourself under the bus more like), care to explain why Adam might think either of the statements above were bollox? (Unless 'a cpmbi boiler' is an actual thing?)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's never off, just think of it as a frost-stat at all times when you don't set higher required temperatures ...

e.g set 20 for 7am to get up, then 15 for 9am after you leave the house,

18 for 5pm when you return and 10 from 10pm for overnight, then you can boost it by the odd degree or two for the odd hour or two as required.
Reply to
Andy Burns

"Don't think in terms of turning the heating "on" and "off".

Think in terms of setting the temperature for different periods throughout the say.

You can set the temperature as low as 10 degrees. That's "off" for most purposes. But the heating /will/ still come on if it gets colder than that."

I've installed a few similar for people who've had no trouble in practice with the way they work - especially with the help of diagrams like the one on page 10. And some of them have been people I'd have said were more suited to deciding what colour the wheel should be than installing heating systems (or indeed lecturing on neuroscience).

Reply to
Robin

I?d seriously consider a Hive (or similar) system. You can then set things to a profile which matches your needs and, best of all, turn it on/off remotely via your phone etc.

If, for example, we go out for the day we can turn off the heating and turn it on remotely when we are heading back. When we are returning from trips ( holidays) I turn on the hot water ( and heating if needed) so we can have a shower etc.

You can set it up for anti-frost etc. , to automatically detect when everyone has left the house ( using their phones), when someone is returning, .....

You can add individual radiator valves to control each room - electronic thermostatic valves with a remote override.

Even, should you like gadgets, control the temperature via Alexa etc with your voice.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Ok ...

Ok, that sounds reasonable, thanks. ;-)

FWIW, (I have since found out) the existing stat is a Honeywell T40.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Thanks, I just wanted to check that the way it worked was 'reasonable', rather than getting and fitting it and then having people ask, 'who sold you that then'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

I'm not sure that would tick the VFM box Brian, especially for a rented flat. ;-)

It sounds 'clever' that's for sure, just overkill for this scenario. The purpose was to try to offset the cost of running the CH when the flat was unoccupied (by not or running it at a lower temperature (automatically, if they forget to turn the stat down) to have it warmer when they are there.

Oh, I love gadgets and have a couple of Google Home / Mini here, one unplugged and one still in it's box (a gift).

Gotta go, my 3D printing design should be finished. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Easy enough to take with you.

The system is in three bits. The bit which connects to the internet is intended to be taken to your next house as I understand the system as it is linked to YOU. When middle daughter bought a house with Hive, they had to buy the Internet link box as the previous owner had taken it.

The other two bits are the room stat and the boiler interface. All three link wirelessly.

I think the full system was about £150 ( unfitted) for a version compatible with a fully pumped CH and hot water system. The interface just clips to the standard controller backplate in most cases, sometimes you need to change one wire. Then it is just a few buttons to press and setting up a free account with Hive for remote access.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Ok.

Ok.

Ok, that makes things easier (especially in a rented place).

Might be worth a look I guess.

I assume you can also 'view' the current settings remotely, in case someone else was home when they might not normally be (in case you thought you had left the heating on)?

So, two occupants with smartphones, would it know when each was in and (say) turn the heating off (down) when neither was present?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The most boring instructional video I've seen in a long time.

No off periods but you could set every other start temperature to, say,

5 C which will effectively turn the CH off unless the pipes are about to freeze.
Reply to
alan_m

I doubt you have finished with it.

Reply to
ARW

I politely took the piss.

But can I borrow your fork?

Reply to
ARW

Yes.

You can set it up so it goes off when both (or more ) leave. When one approaches (I can?t recall how close, I think 1/4 mile) the system turns on.

I could turn the heating down (or off) if I was out but Senior Management was home but she wouldn?t be impressed. ;-)

You can also see a ?history? of your room temp by day, week etc which is quite interesting and useful to set up your timing cycle. I was surprised how long the house stayed warm (ie at the set temp) after I set the heating to off in the evening. You can have several timing periods per day - not sure what the limit is.

I?m sure other systems offer similar functionality, I just happen to have settled on Hive. I suspect they are similar to install etc.

Reply to
Brian Reay
<snip>

I know, you said, but how though (and IDGAF about 'polite')?

Of course, if it helps you dig. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Ok.

And I'm guessing you can still have a reasonable 'frost' setting for when the dog is left there (or give the dog a smartphone). ;-)

Quite.

Him. "Get yer coat on." Her. "Oooh, are we going out?" Him. "No, I'm going up the pub and turning the heating off ... "

Yeah, the flat in question seems to warm up quickly and stay warm reasonably well as well. It must help being a flat and could gain from the warmth from below and the insulation from above?

I guess that wouldn't be such an issue if you hard the option of remote control in advance (assuming you remember etc).

I think Hive was one of the first wasn't it?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m