Did anyone else know that it is Boiler Switch On Week?

I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

Reply to
ARW

I'm tighter than a gnat's chuff when it comes to heating and mine went on two weeks ago.

Only 2 dots though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message <V8nrF.1334846$ snipped-for-privacy@fx33.am, ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Ours stays on all year for the hot water anyway. Someone will be along shortly to say an immersion is cheaper:-)

When I had a proper job, October 5th. was factory heating turn on day.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ours runs each day to heat the hot water tank all year and each room has its own motorised valve and timer/stat. If it is cold, one or more rooms will come on, otherwise they won't. Why would I want to turn it off and on at certain times of the year?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Possibly a traditional date when the call out to broken CH systems peaks. The classic breakdown at this time of year is the seized CH pump, because it has been left off for 6 months or more.

Reply to
alan_m

I remember when it was 1st October - whether we needed it or not. But that comes of being in an insitutionalised environment.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

If the controls are working there is no need to switch it off.

Reply to
invalid

I don't have one.

Reply to
harry

Last week in October!!!

I admit that my boiler isn't on yet, but that unique IME

previous houses have all been some time in September

tim

Reply to
tim...

I assume that they mean turning on the heating option

everyone's boiler ought to be on all year for hot water

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yes though it might explain why the DUP had a meeting this week, lots of old boilers in that lot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well apparently it is, so be careful, most are pretty harmless though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

all wood-pellet burners?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nor had I but it makes sense (or did before GW etc).

Quite, but if you polled the population you might find that most turn theirs on about now.

During the last hot spell, an elderly neighbour we keep an eye on / help asked me to look at her heating system as it seemed to be heating the rads when it was set for HW only.

Removing the diverter valve head and manually setting the valve to HW only didn't stop the CH cct from getting hot and that suggested that the valve itself was leaking / bypassing (and I got her a new valve plate ready for when it cooled down in the loft).

During this recent cold snap she asked if she could have the heating on and I arranged that for her but it seemed there were additional (/new?) issues.

1) The valve wasn't returning to the default (HW) position, even when disconnected from the valve itself and completely powered off, unless you gave the motor gear a little nudge. I replaced the motor (cheap) and whilst it's better, it's not 100% (suggesting the return spring might be getting weak or something else is seizing up). 2) The system wouldn't run on CH only, but would run alongside HW. Taking the PCB out of the head so I could get directly onto the micro switches showed that both switches had an issue (O/C), one on the NO connection, the other on the NC.

So I've ordered a complete new head and can test that on the old valve body, before draining down, flushing then draining again and replacing the valve itself (n refilling / inhibitor etc), when the weather is right (mild).

It's a Y plan system but with no room stat, relying on thermostatic rad valves and the boiler stat for CH. Simple and seems to work fairly well, all be it not very 'adjustable' (but she rarely has the need to adjust it it seems).

One way to stop the Mrs fiddling with the room stat is to not have one. ;-)

We don't have one either, but then we don't have CH ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In contrast, a few years ago a Guardian writer caused a stir by writing a piece about 'tit Tuesday', the second day in the year when women felt that it was warm enough to go to work without their winter jumpers or cardigans on.

(I switched my CH on the other day but it got too warm so I switched it off again, putting it on boost (two hours) when needed.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Huh. I went into my lounge this morning and it was 12 deg C.

Won't be using that room again until March unless I win the lottery or global warming ups its game.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Agreed.

I have a smaller house with one room stat and TRVs on the rads.

I turn it off (set stat to 10 deg) when I am at work - I am not paying to keep the house warm for my cat.

Reply to
ARW

Mad setup to have no room stat. Sounds like your shaft has seized up, probably after lack of use during the summer. Having had a honeywell 3 way apart I'm convinced there's no cure other than new parts.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

14C in mine. put the UFH on and burnt a weeks food

Now 17C

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With pellets imported from Brazil?