Did anyone else know that it is Boiler Switch On Week?

<snip>

What?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

'Some' TRV's might be noisy, these ones seem silent.

'Some' TRV's might not, these seem, to work as hoped, still. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

'Moderate' but that's the whole point isn't it. ;-)

By cr@p you mean it's actually functional and you don't have an answer to my question.

No, it was funny as expected ... but thanks for playing. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You want more? Seriously?

OK, then since you ask so nicely:

  1. The boiler requires (in the absence of an internal or external bypass) at least one radiator without TRV.

  1. The temperature in the room with that radiator (or those radiators) cannot be managed (to use your term) by TRVs.

  2. The temperature in said room can be managed with a thermostat (which controls the "call for heat").
Reply to
Robin

Towel rail in the bathroom?

A towel rail with towels doesn't heat the room by much.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

if it doesn't it'll soon boil over into the F&E tank

Reply to
Andy Burns

Fine *if* the system has a heated towel rail installed separate from the bathroom radiator. I've not seen a lot of those on older systems.

Reply to
Robin

I'd like something coherent that wasn't already pretty obvious, yes.

Yes, and?

No, and?

It can, yes, and?

Sorry, I thought you were going to explain that you had an actual point?

It's like you have just researched it yourself and found some nooby d-i-y site that warns about not providing some form of bypass?

Luckily, others have already explained it all to you ...and in this (and my Mums case) it's provided by a towel rail.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And if there's no towel rail plumbed separate from the bathroom radiator?

Anyhow, let's get back to your original question:

"Ignoring the binary / analogue action, what is the (functional / thermal control) differences between a thermostatic rad valve and a room stat / room?"

Do you understand how in my example the stat is functioning in a different way from a TRC to control the room's temperature?

If you saw such a system would you tell the owner they /must/ rip out the stat, fit TRVs and also fit a bypass heated towel rail because that is the only right way?

Reply to
Robin

That's exactly what we have (for the last 16-1/2 years) - although they are combined timer/stats, so each room has its own temperature *and* time settings.

And now with a modern boiler that can modulate down for low demand to avoid excessive cycling.

It is.

I went for battery powered timer/stats, switching 12V ac (provided by an isolated safety transformer) and using relays to operate the mains powered valves. That way I could use thin alarm cable for the timer/stats and so run it up doorframes or the like until such time as each room is re-decorated and I can sink in a box and trunking. It also meant that we could have one in the bathroom.

The hot water cylinder has one end of a mains, dual central heating timer and a cylinder stat operating its valve and the other end operating a relay to switch on the immersion heater - allowing us to use the boiler to provide hot water normally, but boost with both boiler and immersion if required. Also letting us use the immersion timed if we had the central heating out of action for any reason.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

TRVs and single room stat only run the system while that one room is too cold. Once it heats up, the whole system stops, even if other rooms are too cold. The whole system only runs or stops at the same times of day.

Timer/stat per room allows each room to have different times as well as temperatures, runs while any room is too cold and shuts down boiler and pump when there is no demand.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

On 23/10/2019 22:10, Steve Walker wrote: <snip>

Do you happen to know of a way to have a timer and stat per room but adjust centrally the temperatures - or even just adjust them all up or down by the same amount? I ask as IMLE one advantage of TRVs and a single room stat is that if the stat is set lower than usual then (with a reasonably balanced system) the rooms with the TRVs also stabilise at a lower temperature than the TRVs would maintain. It's useful for people who have days when they want the house warm and days when they want to the house very warm.

Reply to
Robin

Yes and no. I have actually been thinking of replacing all ours with ethernet equipped Arduinos (not a separate shield) with touch screens and 1-wire temperature sensors.

Another couple of Arduinos to operate the relay boxes upstairs and downstairs and probably another one as central controller/webserver.

The idea being that settings, boost, etc. for any room could be brought up in any other room or PC or phone.

I was also planning wi-fi alarm clocks, so the bathroom and living room would adjust to come on before the alarms go off rather than at a fixed time.

Whether I'll actually get around to it I don't know - although I have just bought a touch-screen to experiment with one of the Arduinos that I already have.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker
<snip>

Yup. ;-(

Yup. So, more complexity than TRV / no room stat arrangement and energy wasted on the valves, if electric?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Thanks. Sounds ideal. But my learning curve would very probably exceed my life expectancy :(

Reply to
Robin

But would it be a right or left brain injury :-}

Reply to
whisky-dave

If they are noisy the pump is probably set too high.

Reply to
invalid

Rubbish, they will have to keep cycling to heat the water or no heat will ever be put into the rooms even if the TRVs are open.

A room stat may reduce this but it still happens.

A properly zoned system will only call for heat if one of the zones requires it. This is usually done by end switches on the valves wired as an "OR" gate.

Reply to
invalid

Functional doesn't mean it isn't cr@p.

You could wire your house lights in bell wire and it would be functional and cr@p.

The only things funny here are your replies and not funny ha ha.

Reply to
invalid

Hive, but its expensive. Something like £100 for the stat and boiler switch and £40 per room for the replacement "TRV". There are others. I don't know if you need the stat but you need the hub and its the cheapest way to get the hub and boiler switch installed when there are specials available, like now you can get a hive stat, hub, boiler switch and a "free" echo dot for £99 installed if you can sign up for BG rewards.

Any other IOT enabled stat if its zoned.

Reply to
dennis