Heat pump SEER rating

Why can't I find a heat pump with a good SEER rating? The USA has a law stating 13 minimum. Yet here in the UK, I looked at Panasonic and they're all 7 to 11!

It's because we use 120/240 volt 60 Hz two-phase.  Your single-phase 50 Hz is less efficient.
https://www.energystar.gov/products/most_efficient/central_air_conditioners_and_air_source_heat_pumps

I don't believe you. There is no way they can be twice as efficient with a different input voltage or frequency.
On 21/10/2019 20:50, A noiseless patient Spider wrote:

Doesn't it also depend on if it's been optimised for air conditioning to cool air in the summer rather than being optimised for heating during the winter in climates such as the UK?
Consider also it appears from many of the examples I've seen honesty doesn't seem to be part of USA advertising.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Is that necessary? If it's reversible, isn't it just that? Obviously it will be less efficient when it's pushing heat through a larger gradient (which will happen in heating mode), but that can't be helped.

Don't they have a government body to check they're honest?
And it ain't just the USA - almost everything you buy with a rating is a lie. Cameras with less megapixels than they say, batteries with less capacity than they say, etc. Every time I buy something like that, I test it thoroughly, then get a partial refund :-)
On 22/10/2019 00:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Megapixels (and megabytes) are less than they used to be. 1,000,000 rather than 1,048,576.
--
Max Demian

On 22/10/2019 11:02, Max Demian wrote:

Hard disks have always have always been 1MB = 1,000,000 Bytes
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 22/10/2019 12:11, alan_m wrote:

I dont think so

Josef Stalin
On 22/10/2019 20:25, Jane Black wrote:

...has no relevance to this duscussion...

..implies the opposite...
--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

Of course it does, it’s the first hard disk seen on the PC.

No it does not. The lines specifying the formatted capacity are clearly using 1,048,576. byte megabytes.

Indeed. Yet another con. Pretty annoying when your 2TB drive is 1.8.
On 21/10/2019 20:50, A noiseless patient Spider wrote:

That is cobblers. I've seen efficient motors runbing off 3V DC.

And that doesnt support the contention either.
foolish, and by the rulers as useful.
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 15:50:32 -0400, A noiseless patient Spider

60Hz vs 50Hz?
For several manufacturers they all come off the the same production line, using the same refrigerant, most now use a multiphase inverter driven compressor.
The result is there is essentially bugger all difference in thermal performance and certainly none related to the mains input voltage and frequency.
On 22/10/2019 18:14, The Other Mike wrote:

No one with a monniker like "A noiseless patient Spider" van possibly have an IQ over 50
--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."