speed limits

"Bridget Driscoll achieved notoriety by becoming the first pedestrian to be= killed in a car accident in the United Kingdom. Whilst visiting the Crysta= l Palace in London on 17th August 1896, she was hit by an automobile which = was giving demonstration rides at a maximum speed of 4 mph. R.D."

Whats the point of these new 20mph city speed limits ? They obviously need = to be about 3mph

Reply to
fred

killed in a car accident in the United Kingdom. Whilst visiting the Crystal Palace in London on 17th August 1896, she was hit by an automobile which was giving demonstration rides at a maximum speed of 4 mph. R.D."

be about 3mph

Not the same. We have pedestrian-friendly bumpers. And other features which should help reduce the effect of a car hitting a person. Maybe we could push the boat out to 5 mph?

Reply to
polygonum

Variable speed limits might be more to the point. I used to drive to work past a school at about 15-20mph and did manage to stop dead once when a boy without any warning ran into the road in front of me. Nearly got caught by police with radar guns a couple of times on Sundays on the same road when it was deserted.

Reply to
Hugh - in either England or Sp

Or maybe everyone needs to wear special leg protectors when out walking in these 'shared spaces' These places do not work as intended and its about time councils stopped looking at pretty pictures and started protecting pedestrians again using those new fangled devices called pavement ts and crossing points with lights. grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But that would mean banning cars from pavements. And they seem to be quite popular for parking on.

Reply to
Andrew May

be about 3mph

Bring back the man with the red flag. Not only will it eliminate road deaths but it will also eliminate unemployment. I can see NuLabr adopting this policy as a matter of urgency to reduce the hideous carnage on our roads.

Eh? Whaddayermean not many people die onthe roads nowadays?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Stealth tax - raising money from speeding fines.

Reply to
alan

be killed in a car accident in the United Kingdom. Whilst visiting the Crys= tal Palace in London on 17th August 1896, she was hit by an automobile whic= h was giving demonstration rides at a maximum speed of 4 mph. R.D."

d to be about 3mph

She probably never seen a motor car before. And assumed that like a horse, it would stop.

Reply to
harry

Death by rail was much earlier.

William Huskisson

Reply to
ARW

As, indeed, was the first car death.

still many years after WH.

Reply to
polygonum

You've been to Paris then ?

Reply to
fred

rubbish.. you don't have to speed. Now congestion charging is a tax.

Reply to
dennis

killed in a car accident in the United Kingdom. Whilst visiting the Crystal Palace in London on 17th August 1896, she was hit by an automobile which was giving demonstration rides at a maximum speed of 4 mph. R.D."

be about 3mph

Darwin rules. Horse accidents vastly exceeeded motor accidents for years until the utter demise of the horse. Horses don't even have drum brakes and a couple of tons of cart are hard to stop.

Th history of the motor vehicle is one of falling accident and death rates from road traffic accidents.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

o be killed in a car accident in the United Kingdom. Whilst visiting the Cr= ystal Palace in London on 17th August 1896, she was hit by an automobile wh= ich was giving demonstration rides at a maximum speed of 4 mph. R.D."

eed to be about 3mph

Yes, IU she repeatedly opened and closed her umbrella at it which was the a= ccepted way to stop a horse, but it didn't work.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

Horses are also dangerous when stationary - horse kicks being a significant danger. Poisson anyone?

Reply to
polygonum

"Goals, floods, and horse kicks"

Haven't seen that in a while.