OT - Old British Cars

You don't need a car licence to drive it like a pillock.

Reply to
dennis

Those brakes must have been really bad.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Tin worm was (is?) the problem with older cars, especially British ones from the 60s/70s. My first car was a Mk2 Escort (S reg). Mechanically, it was great- it had 80k miles or so on it when I sold it but I bought it s/h so it may have done more. I had the outer sills replaced, the strut plates, and loads of 'touching up'. That was all under 6 years old. Conversely, I just sold a MX5, 1999. No rust on it. Ditto a CRV,

12 years old, no rust. A good waxing and both would look almost new.

As for Morgans, I've considered one several times- including recently, having sold the MX5 and decided I miss a 'toy car';-) However, having only done 500 miles per year in the 'toy car' for the last couple of years, it seems OTT.

Reply to
Brian Reay

That is quite a lot of driving, especially if it is every day. A Spitfire isn't the most comfortable car for that kind of mileage either.

The A series was used in a number of vehicles, the Spitfire was towards the 'sporty' end. Are you of the view the same problem would occur in a more 'sedate' vehicle?

I've only driven old Landrovers. While I acknowledge their attributes, the ones I drove were 'basic' and anything but comfortable.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Something doesn't add up here, NP says he had a Spitfire 1500, they used the Triumph engine they had used before in various guises in earlier versions. by the time it got to the 1500 it had been taken beyond the limits of the original design and had indeed become a weak beast. I was glad my Spit was of the last MK 3 ones whose engine was still reasonably robust

The 1500 Triumph engine was also used in the MG Midget from 74 to the end of that model , replacing the 1275 A series engine. a move which many felt was also a retrograde step.

NP could not have been working on an A series , may be he thought he was and was bashing in the wrong parts which is why they did not last long.

detailed sorry tale of the 1500 Triumph engine here.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

No. I mentioned the spitty because it was one I did many engine recons on. Sartining with lighetning balancing fitting a dolomite head fast road cam upgraded carbs and exhaust...GT6 fronmt discs, ford galaxy brake servo...speedo reckoned ot would do 115mph.

I've still got it somewhere - been off road since 1987

I have owned two spittys - one 1300, one 1500 and no less than 5 spridgets, from 995 to 1275.

All engines of that era that I worked on need routine bearing changes at 30k miles or a full engine rebuild at around 80k miles

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I only got as far as Toledo head, had larger valves ISTR , and exhaust then got an older TR4A instead .

Amazing I came across mine 3 months after I sold it in a scrap yard

90 miles away . Had walked across Barnes Bridge in London after seeing a Girlfriend to see some of her rellies and continued along a footpath towards Chiswick alongside which there was a scrap yard . There through the fence was my former car looking a bit battered. Couldn't resist going to the yard office and asking about it. Apparently it had come to grief in accident on the Chiswick flyover,

At the time the Spit was looked down upon my many in comparison to the Spridgets, Girls or Hairdressers car was a common comment. Having owned both which one did you prefer? I found the Spitfire had a little more room and at a pinch you could squeeze a third passenger sat side ways behind the seats.

Things like the Triumph engine and A series engines were getting on by then, were Fords a bit more advanced? Even so as though I think your first figure is a little pessimistic I did happen to point out to the missus as our car now 6 years old clicked pass 90,000 miles the other day and still driving and sounding the same as the day it was delivered would have amazed my father who a year before he died in 62 had got a BMC Gold seal Replacement engine for his Austin Devon, Mother sold it and in later years I saw the paperwork said the mileage was around 44000. Gold seals were only generally available for vehicles under 5 years, older ones had silver seals. He would probably be amazed that I've never approached our car with a grease gun either.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The fog lamp switch on the mk2 Sierra was positioned so as to be hidden by your right arm while driving. It was also not self cancelling. I never had any problem remembering to turn it off, but once drove for many miles with it on ... when the MOT tester left it switched on! I only realised when the day darkened and the reflection of the light showed up in the driver's door glass.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That went away around the mid 60s.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Tell me about it. I had a 1952 Series I with canvas tilt.

Aftermarket heater; I remember one cold night driving from Broghton to Canterbury; stopped at traffic lights in Hawkhurst, opened bonnet, opened valve to heater, closed bonnet, got back in just in time for the lights change!

And removing the side screens at traffic lights on a hot day...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes. They were actually classified as a motorbike and sidecar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, pet. Fact. The Riley 1 1/2 litre was single carb.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It depends on the A Series version. The original A30 803cc engine had bypass oil filtration, and could wear out at relatively low miles. Especially since the gearing was very low.

My brother had a 1275 Marina which just about made 200,000 miles. Unleaded killed it - along with rust.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You do realise the Spitfire had a Triumph engine, not an A Series?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To compare lie for like you should have imported a MX5 to Japanese spec (Miata). They rust like the clappers due to a lack of rust protection.

If you apply modern rust protection to a new Escort Mk2 shell, it will last very well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The usual bollocks. Or perhaps you couldn't be bothered changing the oil. And or thrashed it from cold.

I did over 50,000 miles in a 1275 Midget without any engine repairs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wow. My Herald 13/60's original engine was still going fine at about

90,000 miles, I only took it out because I had built up a Spitfire engine and O/D gearbox combination for it. They were still working fine when I sold it, at 125,000 or so. I had had one outrigger repair by then. What were you doing to your engines to wear them out so fast?
Reply to
Davey

The Standard/Triumph unit was well known for being pretty rugged.

Quite. Poor servicing and even worse driving springs to mind.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And were illegal.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I had a tour round the factory a few months ago. Lots of hand work, including forming bonnets from flat sheet.

The shop had a Morgan pedal car, a snip at £8k.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon