OT - Old British Cars

IN BMC days, Austin and Morris had the column gearchange on opposite sides...

Rolls Royce had their (auto) column gearchange on the right. So fitted their indicator stalk on the left. Didn't realise they were continental rubbish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Think Ford were the first to fit them in the UK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, thats the 1970s Jeremey Corbyn harks back to.

UKIP alone are trying to drag the nation out of a 19th century colonial empire into the 21st century...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My grandpa had two Imps: a D-reg baby-poo yellow/green one (like the dashboard photo) and then an H-reg bright red on with the big round gauges.

I remember the big black rubber toggles for fastening the rear windows shut: I think the windows were hinged at the front and opened on a strut, but had a rubber strap with knobbles on it which engaged with a slotted plate on the window frame to hold the window in the shut position.

Reply to
NY

Wolseley had they auto tranmission selector as a knob sticking out of the dashboard on the right hand side of the steering wheel - so RR weren't the only ones to have the selector on the right.

Reply to
NY

IMO car mfrs stil haven't got indicators right. Self cancellers are just a pain, they switch off when not wanted and don't switch off when wanted. Give me manual any day. And yes, I've lived with and much prefer manuals.

The one manual thing I really don't miss is the reversing light. That was annoying at times.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I agree: Citroen don't/didn't have self-cancelling indicators and I preferred it like that. My dad had a GS with a conventional stalk but no self cancelling mechanism. that was OK. I didn't like the rocker switch that was used on some of the larger Citroens (CX etc).

I couldn't manage without reversing lights. Tail lights are not bright enough to see where you are going (to avoid kerbs, hedges, walls etc) when reversing if there's no street light nearby. My car has just one reversing light and I tend to put the rear fog light on and the hazard lights and dab the brakes - anything to throw a bit of light on the scene.

Reply to
NY

I think what he means is he doesnt miss *manual* reversing lights - i.e. happy to have them come on when the gear is slected.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As far as I remember, cancelling it was no harder than any other car. One advantage was that turning off the ignition automatically cancelled the signal, so it wasn't 'On' when you started up next morning.

Reply to
Davey

The semaphore arms had festoon bulbs in that were powered only when the arm was fully out (at least on my 1959 Beetle).

Reply to
DerbyBorn

yes, I never saw the sense in a manual switch when they could have put a microswitch down by the gearstick. I got pulled for driving with it on unintentionally once - it was bound to happen at some point.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Especially as the manual switch was often a user add-on, and came on a little metal panel that you screwed to the bottom of the dashboard - well out of your eyeline. If the light had been near the ignition, oil and indicator lights, you'd notice immediately.

Reply to
NY

No choke control on the early ones, they had a horrible automatic choke, guaranteed to stall at the first junction you came to on a still cold engine. Fortunately there was a manual conversion kit available with the control knob behind you under the front of the rear seat.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

These days it would put on the parking lights. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And then there was the pneumatic throttle...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Like trucks with a hand on a stick.

Reply to
FMurtz

Rolls Royce have never had a "column gear change" The gearbox is electrically operated. The thing on the column is an electric switch to control it.

Reply to
harry

My dad's Ford Consul began life with amber covers for the indicators, but they faded after a while, eventually getting close to white.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Someone devised a DIY scheme to add flashing to semaphore arms. There was sufficient lag in the magnetic circuit so that they stayed up whilst the light flashed.

How many years after their demise did it take before it was realised that having something visible at the side of the vehicle would be useful?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In message , Chris J Dixon writes

I do remember side indicator kits being available, comprising two indicators, one for each front wing. I added a pair to one of my cars, a MKII Cortina from memory, mid 70s.

Reply to
Graeme