OT - Old British Cars

It surprises me they have different 'lines' for basic finishing of body shells. I know other details vary but they tend to be 'bolt on'. Having different paint processes seems odd.

I'm sure it would. Then many other things have changed over the years- gone are the days of 6000 mile/6mth services, even frequent changing of spark plugs. As for warranties, 5 years is all but standard as a min, with 7 on some.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I gather they're going to produce an electric version of the three-wheeler very soon, the EV3

. Won't have the same appeal as the petrol version though. Perhaps if they added sound effects...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Really? This article from 1956 refers to 'all three types of indicator at present approved', which suggest they were legal for some time before then:

Nightjar

Is that a recent change the law? My 1988 and 1993 Golf had one-sided side/tail lights, operated with the indicator switch.

Reply to
NY

Snip

Great fun driving with your nether portions a few inches off the tarmac but I doubt I could comfortably get in or out one now:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

The original shoes were 1 3/4" but I fitted Plus 4 drums to the front (2") with the bigger engine. I doubt these off the cuff conversions are allowed now. I had a friend who built and raced Formula Ford cars who was very gung ho about such issues.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My herald 12/50 broke suddenly.. the timing chain tensioner fell off and the engine bent a few valves/pushrods.

I can't see the spring loaded rubber tipped tensioner lasting 90,000 miles with or without fresh oil.

The rod on the spring was so short that the tensioner would just fall out before the rubber had worn enough for it to make a noise so there was no warning and IIRC no routine replacement interval.

Reply to
dennis

Well don't use them where you need parking lights as you have to have them on both sides of the vehicle.

If you use them where you don't need parking lights then that's fine.

Reply to
dennis

I rewired my Escort to have them, with a relay to switch the headlights off with the ignition after I flattened the battery by leaving them on once.

I don't suppose you're allowed to use those single parking lights, showing white to the front and red to the rear that you jammed onto the wind up windows and plugged into the ciggy lighter socket (if there was one). I think they came in when they made it a legal requirement to have parking lights at night, regardless of the 30 mph limit or the presence of street lights. Or maybe the street lights had to be working.

Reply to
Max Demian

While I'm a hybrid owner and find it very impressive, an electric Morgan just seems 'wrong'.

Reply to
Brian Reay

There was a prototype in their display area.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

My Messerschmitt was classified as a 'Motorised tricycle?

The interesting thing was that I originally drove my Schmitt on my car licence but it seems that has since been withdrawn, however, as I also have a full bike licence I can still drive it on that (I think). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Believe it's a lack of wax injection, which is done after painting. And is quite costly.

IIRC, due to a very strict 'MOT' Japanese cars ain't expected to have the same life as elesewhere. So no point spending money making the body outlast the expected life of the whole vehicle. So home market versions are treated differently from export ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a requirement in some countries - notably Germany (or was). Not sure about if it ever conforms to UK laws, though. But can be useful here. Like if parked on an unlit road. The battery might not cope with the ordinary sidelights being left on overnight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bit more to them than just switching off the headlights. They only switch on one side and one tail light, according to which side you select with the indicator switch. So no number plate light or dash lighting.

The Lucas indicator switch on my old Rover has provision for it in the basic moulding. But the extra contacts and terminals needed not fitted. Must have saved a few pennies by making different versions of this switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Chris J Dixon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The trouble with "hand work" is that it introduces variations. Skilled personnel are great for tinkering with a process. Proper tooling that is fit for the tolerances is the way to go.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

There is a preserved London Transport RF single decker bus preserved in Chippenham which has been restored to its original condition including the semaphore indicators but now flashing!

I used to see this bus regularly at many running days all over southern England but not since 2012 when it was relicenced as a PCV and entered revenue earning service.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Most older cars had quite a bit of variation. Things like doors were chosen off the pile for best fit. Meaning a replacement might not be anything like as good without a deal of work.

Jaguar used to lead load panels to get that perfect finish. They never did worry about weight. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Terry Casey wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I recall our buses used to have really poor lighting. On the back was a triangular fitting in the centre with the word "STOP" illuminated when braking and a left and right arrow underneath as the turn indicator.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It's not just hand work that produces variations!

Years ago we had a rep who we fund out was colour blind during a conversation about the then forthcoming introduction of colour TV.

He was completely colour blind and saw things only in shades of grey. However, as a result, he could detect minor variations that someone with normal vision couldn't.

He visited the Ford factory at Dagenham regularly and walked along the production line to get where he was going and he would often see a car - he didn't, of course, know what colour it was - and said that what went through his mind was that some poor bastard was going to buy a car with different colour doors to the body!

Reply to
Terry Casey