Its unlikely I am the first to discover this hack, but it made life
easier, so I post it just in case it helps...
I wanted to part strip a wall of its plasterboard (skimmed, foil backed)
which I will be replacing it with tiled Aquapanel - this is adjacent to
a new shower bath.
Having knocked the obligatory hole in it, I set about attempting to
prise it off the wall now I had access to an "edge". Needless to say it
was basically crumbling, and likely to reduce the removed boards to lots
of smaller lumps. All in all messy, dusty, and time consuming. I thought
it would be much easier if I only had to deal with one section between
two studs at a time. That meant I needed an easy way to cut the board in
So I thought I would give the wall chaser a go. Fitted with just one
disk, I set the depth of cut to basically just the board thickness. The
run a cut floor to ceiling directly over each stud. (the disc sliced
thought the occasional clout nail - but that did not seem to bother it.
Then did a horizontal cut along the line of noggings. The vacuum on the
chaser contained the dust from the cuts.
After that it was remarkably easy to prise free a whole section of board
at a time - breaking away from the nails, and coming off in a single
lump without too much mess. Took all of ten mins then to strip 2.5m of
wall. Then a little bit more time with a nail bar pulling out the
fastenings. Not much dust or general plaster board rubble / crumbs either.
(I did think about carrying my 16 odd sections out of the house a few at
a at time, but then though why not let gravity do the work - lobbed em
out of the 1st floor window onto some grass, then went to collect em
with a wheel barrow!)
Click to see the full signature.