Water pump cycling about every half hour? ? ?

This problem just started recently. Pressure is fine. No changes have been made to the water system this year. I checked the toilets, sinks (including underneath), ice maker, showers, outside faucets, water heater and under the house. I only found one joint under the house that drips about one drop every ten minutes. Could this be a pump beginning to fail? It is the original pump installed when the house was built in 1986

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Frank K.

Check your pressure tank. Possibly the bladder has burst and it has become water-logged.

Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi

Reply to
jk

Toilets can leak, put dye tablets in your toilet tank. Then look in the bowl

Reply to
mark Ransley

I assume you have underground pipes from the well to the house. You may have a leak underground.

Of course I assume you checked to be sure there are no dripping faucets or running toilets....

Reply to
me

Could be a leaking check valve.

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Heiler

Also a siphon is possible if a rag or even a string leads from the bowl through the trap.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Ummm...no. A burst bladder and water log will only show effects, i.e., pumpr running much too often, when water is drawn for use. It will not cause the pump to run if no water is being used (barring total hydraulic lock causing instant on/off cycling).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

"Frank K." wrote

Shut off the water just past the pressure tank and observe the pressure gauge over the next half hour. If it falls, the leak is on the well side from the pressure tank to the check or foot valve in the well. If it doesn't, the leak is on the house side. Put some food coloring in each toilet tank and see if it shows up in the bowl after 30 minutes. First make sure the water level is adjusted correctly; that's about an inch below the top of the overflow tube. And fix the dripping fitting you mentioned.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

There should be a shutoff valve right next to the tank, which shuts the water off to the house, and all underground pipe. Shut it off, and see if the pump still cycles. If this stops the cycling, the problem is in the house, or a leak underground in the pipe. If the pump still cycles, problem is in the well or pump itself.

Reply to
me

I turned off the water valve to my workshop two days ago. This morning I lifted the toilet tank top and the tank was empty.

Thanks to all who replied.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

"Frank K." wrote

Put a few drops of food coloring into the tank and watch the bowl for the color. Watch for at least 30 minutes but as long as a number of hours; like over night. It may be nothing more than a toilet flapper valve leak.