It all kicked off at work today - one for Dave Plowman?

2.6
Reply to
Jimk

We are fitting ventilation doors at a hospital ready for the overcrowding due to expected influx of virus infected patients.

Then there was a massive argument and tradesmen nearly came to blows.

So what is this car?

NSFW depending where you work

Probably safe for work unless it's a junior school you work in

The bloke doing the ventilation said it was a 2.8 but I am sure that they did not make a 2.8

Anyway we all got red carded and sent home for the day.

Reply to
ARW

2000 inline 4 2300 inline 6 2600 inline 6 3500 v8

Could be 2600SE or 3500SE facelift model. Not a Vanden Plas, no rubbery boot lid spoiler.

I'd go for a 2600SE as in some shots you can see a 4 character logo on the side of the front wing between the door and wheel. The 3500's just said V8 in that position and the poverty-spec engines had the displacement.

The 2000/2300 couldn't pull a greasy stick out of a dog's arse. In one shot he hoons it away quite smartly, so 2600SE.

I had an SD1 3500V8 on a V plate (MUE285V). Wonderfully relaxing to drive and a brilliant efficient way to convert cash into CO2 without moving much. I had a classic P5 3500 Saloon on an original G plate (MTE

934G) at the same time with leather and wood and an even more efficient way of converting cash into CO2 without moving far.

SD1 17-18mpg around town 24mpg on a run P5 13-15mpg around town 22mpg on a run.

You could her the SD1 rusting away when it rained. Both were cheap to run compared with my Vanden Plas 4ltr R saloon, a 1966 Princess body with refined fins and a side-valve Rolls Royce 4L inline 6. 12mpg about town 19mpg on a run.

Reply to
mm0fmf

A friend of mine had a 1960 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery (think Escort van version of the Impala, with a 5.3l V8) - supposedly one of only two in the country. He was really pleased on a run from Nottingham to Newquay (Cornwall), when he got up to 12mpg ... he normally got about 7!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's a small US engine. They're only starting to get big around 7L :-)

Buick 454, Chrysler 440 etc.

Reply to
mm0fmf

I think so.

Reply to
ARW

I saw a Vanden Plas R negotiating traffic a year or so ago. It looked surprisingly small and delicate amongst the bloated modern tin (although not as small and delicate as the Sunbeam Stiletto I saw just recently). It's almost exactly the same length as an Audi A4, but a whole 4 inches narrower and 3 inches taller, and its wheelbase is less than half its length(!).

Reply to
Halmyre

Some discussion here:

John Rumm

Spoiler only correct on the Vitesse. Although plenty fitted them to 'lesser' models.

It is an S2 car by the rear wiper in the screen, and they had the engine capacity on the front wing. No V8 badges anywhere.

Quality was so poor here I couldn't see much detail.

Sounds like your cars were in need of a good service. ;-)

You had an early one which suffered from very poor paint. Late P6 shared the same paint and rusted just as quickly.

Later cars, somewhat better. Pretty well average for the time.

Must admit to wondering about the horn business. It is on the indicator stalk and sheilded by the steering wheel. So dramatic licence?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OHV inlet, side exhaust. Just like most Rolls 6 cylinders - until the V8 arrived. Once difference was the engine was all ally - unlike the Rolls cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They were very much in need of me not driving them wearing clown's shoes. What's the point having a car with power and torque (for the time) and then doing a Driving Miss. Daisy impersonation.

Reply to
mm0fmf