OT Mandatory speed limiters on UK cars from 2022

Having known people sent on speed awareness courses because they were clocked on a smart motorway, despite believing they were obeying the limit, a device like this is valuable to avoid that scenario. But only if it works!

Reply to
Roland Perry

If it's got an explicitly signed 30 limit, then the lamp-posts are irrelevant.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Roland Perry snipped-for-privacy@perry.co.uk> wrote

You don't.

let alone to accelerate (against

You are always free to be below the speed limit so that is a furphy.

Reply to
Alex

In message <ToGdnSG5BJqHR6X8nZ2dnUU78R snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com, at 16:43:21 on Wed, 8 Sep 2021, nightjar snipped-for-privacy@bignell.me.uk> remarked:

There's a huge variety of them (even more that conversion to LED is progressing).

In rural areas there are many poles that carry both mains and phones, sometimes with only dropwires (and not the sort where the mains and/or phones wires are daisy -chained from one to the next). I'm sure I've seen poles where both the supply to a lamp [and only a lamp], and the phone cables, emerge from the ground and run up.

Yes, they are mounted on buildings sometimes, although with many pavements obstructed by lamp-posts too, it's not clear this is the main reason.

I'm pretty sure that when the lamp on the right was being converted to LED recently, Plan-A was a pole in the pavement, which they later took away.

And talking of obstructing the pavement, this one's a corker (get's bashed regularly):

Roland Perry

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, at 15:14:17 on Thu, 9 Sep

2021, Alex snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com remarked:

Tell that to the HGV driver who is so close behind, all I can see is his radiator grille.

Reply to
Roland Perry

And with speed limits also applying at noon on a sunny summer day, who's to know if the lamps are working, or not?

Reply to
Roland Perry

And mine works particularly well on smart motorways. The overhead signs are cleraly visible, and despite their different appearance they are recognised reliably.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, at 05:52:04 on Thu, 9 Sep

2021, Bob Eager snipped-for-privacy@eager.cx remarked:

I'm sure it'll work most of the time, but have you experienced the result of a sign changing when you are about a car-length away from it?

It could be changing up, down, or off.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Would it recognise this as a dual carriageway?

The southbound carriageway is 500m to the right, but it's a moot question since it has signs for a 50mph limit.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Regulations prohibit running mains electricity on the telegraph poles. So, any pole you see carrying electricity, with or without telephone wires, will be the heavier electricity pole. It is a distinction that is probably not immediately obvious.

Reply to
nightjar

There has to be at least three lamp posts to form the requisite 'system of street lights'.

Reply to
nightjar

As does the railway bridge - even now.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Probably not! But there are always edge cases, and at least it fails 'slow'.

There is a road near me where a slip road goes off at a ney oblique angle, and it 'sees' a speed limit sign on the slip road.

Bob Eager

If I'm that close, and it's on a gantry, I wouldn't see it either.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Similar in Nottingham, if you swivel left and right from here

within the centre grass strip are lamposts with (30) on them for the speed camera on the main road and (20) on them intended for the service road.

Scrotes may have removed or spun round some of the repeaters on the posts

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mine sees the limit signs on the back of trucks. And will happily report that the speed limit is 90mph.

Reply to
Tim Streater

As people have already said, if the sign changes just as you are reaching the gantry, you may catch sight of it while it has already passed out of the car's field of view. Or you might spot a temporary sign, partly obscured by a hedge, that the cameras are unable to make out. Fixed signs are most likely in a GPS database as well as visually spotted. Failure rate should therefore be very low - it will not be zero, but then neither is it for driver observation. The system is a driver aid, not to take over from drivers.

Reply to
Steve Walker

And as I've said elsewhere, there is a built in time delay on down. If it goes up or off, the worst that happens is that you don't notice until the next gantry and realise that you can speed up. If it goes down, there time delay prevents it registering you speeding, until you pass the next gantry, which you will be able to see.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not when they're buried in a hedge and lampposts are the first sign of a possible 30 limit.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net wrote

Which manufacturer is that and what year is your vehicle ?

Reply to
72y33