OT Mandatory speed limiters on UK cars from 2022

Must be reading the wrong mags, only just become aware of this:

from 6 July 2022, and retro fitted to all cars by 2024. Initially they will have an override or on/off switch, but later on this will be withdrawn. Sounds potentially dangerous to me, but then I don't know how they'd implement it for my 20 year old Rover 75! Just hope it doesn't become an MOT pass/fail issue.

Reply to
Davidm

I have been using a programmable speed limiter on my cars since the start of the century. I have found it a boon, as there is one less thing I need to look away from the road for. Mine will be over-ridden if I use kick down, but I find looking well ahead and planning when to overtake works just as well.

Reply to
nightjar

I can't see how it can be retrofitted and IIRC no car legislation has ever been made retrospective.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your link doesn?t work for me. I can?t find nothing about retro-fitting to older vehicles. Doubt that would be possible for many vehicles anyway. What they may be talking about is vehicles homolgated after 2022 which should have the necessary hardware, if not the software, to enable it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That's a retrospect provision imposed on the manufacturer

The rule initially applies only to new *models*

from 2024 it will apply to all new cars

Reply to
tim...

Full link

Davidm

It will never happen just like phasing out ICE cars in 2030 ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Never say never. The speed brigade and speed scamera supporters will have their way.

Reply to
Fredxx

As already noted by others, no. From the official EU media site[1] (with emphasis added):

"From July 2022, Intelligent speed assistance (ISA) will be mandatory for new models/types of vehicles introduced on the market. The ISA will become mandatory for all new cars that will be sold from July 2024 (*therefore it will not concern the vehicle fleet already registered and in circulation before that date*).

I don't know where that comes from but it is at odds with the same source which states the regulation gives makers 4 options:

The ISA regulation provides four options for systems feedback to the driver, from which car manufacturers will be free to choose from:

Cascaded acoustic warning Cascaded vibrating warning Haptic feedback through the acceleration pedal Speed control function

NB only 1 out of a "limiter" as such. And even then

"Even in the case of speed control function, where the car speed will be automatically gently reduced, the system can be smoothly overridden by the driver by pressing the accelerator pedal a little bit deeper."

I've not read the draft Regulation so they might be misleading but it seems unlikely they'd tell enormous porkies on such central points.

[1]
Robin

what and cut their income to zero ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

+1

And all the morons who complain that not being able to exceed the speed limit might somehow be dangerous need to re-evaluate their driving skills (or lack thereof). *All* cars have an inbuilt limiter anyway if you stop to think about it.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I had to fit a foglight to a car once when it was mandatory for the MOT and the dealer sold a model with a late registration. No foglight. No MOT.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It seems exceedingly unlikely that no over-ride will exist. After all, cars aren?t always driven on public roads.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

... and there are still places with no speed limit, would there be different versions of cars sold there?

Reply to
Chris Green

But not for very old cars.

I recall fitting a squishy bulb windscreen washer, too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

never heard of the retro-fitted bit, but the what's to be be fitted to

2022 cars (and presumably is already appearing on cars already?) will just beep at you a bit and not actually be a limiter.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Tell kids today that you used to be able to buy screen washer kits to upgrade your car and they won?t believe you? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I've had an automatic speed limiter for at least five years. I use it; particularly useful if I'm in a strange area and might miss a sign (I'm thinking of those areas where the limit changes constantly within a few hundred metres each time).

I can enable it and largely forget it, and concentrate on driving.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The speed brigade and speed scamera support is not about money. It is sold on safety. Every life counts etc.

Reply to
Fredxx

Or that the heater was an optional extra on the original Mini

Reply to
newshound