OT Mandatory speed limiters on UK cars from 2022

My dad had to fit twin rear lights to his 1939 Ford Anglia to replace the single central rear one.

The ignition key coding was MRN21, the boot was accessed via the rear seat, and there was a pull-down luggage grid over the spare wheel.

Reply to
Spike

Yes, I have that too. There's a windy country road that I use a lot (well over 20,000 times by latest estimate) and it's a great thing to have. There is one bit where there is a sharp deviation, and big reflective chevrons. It always thinks that's an oncoming vehicle.

Blind spot system is good, too. Small light on side mirrors as a warning.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That bit about retrofit was inaccurate. I haven't come across aftermarket limiters.

My factory fitted one isn't set to one speed. It reads the speed limit signs and sets it appropriately.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You use the dip control. It's still there.

Reply to
Bob Eager

According to the RAC, "Since 2000, local authorities have been able to keep a proportion of the money raised by speed cameras, to fund regional schemes."

IIRC, the deal was that LAs could keep some of the money and to try and stop drivers thinking it was purely a revenue making scheme, they could only do so as long as the cameras were painted yellow - that from grey, green or black ones all went to the Treasury.

More recently, the amount the LAs can keep has been reduced and many LAs have turned many of their cameras off.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The revenue stream from all forms of traffic offences should *always* be directed to the Treasury and *never* to the local authority. Doing the latter is a source of corruption.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message <sh4i3f$v46$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 09:05:02 on Mon, 6 Sep 2021, The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid remarked:

25yrs ago I had a fully-loaded BMW (ex-company car bought at auction), and the computer - which probably wasn't even officially offered on the 3-series - had a pinger that you could set.

Mine was set at 75mph [indicated, and it was the first car I had with a digital speedo] and was quite useful because at that time I used to drive on a motorways almost every day; but now, I'm not even sure where the nearest one is... maybe top of M11 about 45mins away in normal traffic.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, at 16:23:49 on Mon, 6 Sep

2021, Alex snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com remarked:

OK, so the "retro-fitted" above is a fib?

How does it know (and before you say "forward facing camera fitted") I'll raise you "sign in a hedge", and "so covered in algae as to be unreadable".

Then of course there are those "not-terribly-smart" motorways. Last week I drove on one, and the limit went from NSL, to 50 [empty road] to 60 [still an empty road], to NSL [ie "off"] to 50 again [merging with other traffic] in less than a quarter of a mile.

Does it take account of how slippery the road is?

Reply to
Roland Perry

I use the dip switch. In practice, I?ve never had to. The lights auto-dip in street lit areas. I?ve not met any cyclists/pedestrians outwith those areas yet.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Are you sure that none at all is paid to the local "safety camera partnership" to actually operate the system?

And the attendance fees for "speed awareness courses", are they all paid to the Treasury too?

Reply to
Roland Perry

A sweeping generalisation I think. Mine work remarkably well. I was doubtful at first but experience has shown that they work very reliably in my car. YMMV.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

screen washer kits ? A heater was once a £15 extra on a Mini

Reply to
fred

titter titter

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It was a misunderstanding of the proposed legislation.

Yes, it will miss one in a hedge, but I haven't found that (rare) case to be a problem. I believe it also uses the satnav.

It copes with those fine.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You sure it's not auto-dipping because you're under 30mph? That is what mine does if I've just turned into some road in the country or I'm slowing on some windy downhill bit.

It works (FSVO works). I don't use it, as it works so poorly.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Which presupposes that the satnav db is up to date. In spite of two car services since it was built (at each of which they told me the satnav database gets updated) it has still never heard of the new Runcorn bridge, and the other day it got so confused not knowing about the completion of the new A14 Huntingdon-Cambridge that it wanted me to turn sharp left to go up an on-ramp the wrong way.

Reply to
Tim Streater

+1

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

And we all had to buy those horrid plastic double glazing sheets to stick on the rear window in our quest for a rear view in winter.

Use the wing mirrors? only if you had fitted them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

And how do you know what the experience is for on-coming drivers?

Reply to
Tim Streater

IIRC, the maximum braking effort is 45%. It is not intended to replace driver action, merely to start braking before the driver can react, thus reducing stopping distance. Automatic braking also kicks in if you sharply lift your foot off the accelerator pedal.

Reply to
nightjar