Nuisance youths

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "John" saying something like:

Hire a science teacher to commit attempted murder on them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What makes you think women are not perpetrators of child abuse?

Hanging about near a distressed child might not be a good idea, some one might jump to the wrong conclusions.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have to concur; whereas in the past I would not hesitste to assist, I now think twice about how to help. I have both organised and been a principal participant in an annual local carnival put on by a local charity for 25 years. The requirement put on us by the local authority in the contract we have to sign to use the land now requires all members of the club participating to have valid CRB checks and all involved in any way with food to have hygiene certificates..

Reply to
Clot

It's not that women never abuse children, but the public perception is that the incidence is much lower and therefore a woman approaching an upset child is much less likely to be falsely accused by the parents when they return or by others, whereas I as a man might be.

I can't just walk away completely, but I don't want to get involved either, therefore my only option is to hang around at a distance, just keeping an eye open to ensure that no harm comes to the child.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The main risk to children AIUI is from the boyfriends/new partners of single mothers, not strangers in dirty raincoats, and changing life patterns mean that children are far more likely to come into contact with the former than fifty years ago.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Steve Walker saying something like:

Exactly. I'm reminded of a study of the so-called 'crimewave' of the 1960s (of which the tabloid rags made a big deal), done a few years later. Turned out the incidence of real crimes hadn't increased at all, it's just that almost every house had a phone in it by the end of the 60s, so the reported crimes shot up, in lockstep with the number of phones.

Co-incidence? I think not.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Rather like the increase in the number of 'alcohol related' hospital admissions coinciding with the police decision (after a few deaths) not to keep drunks in cells overnight to sleep it off. Now its left to the ambulance service to take them to A&E to sleep it off.

Same amount of drunks, different paperwork.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why not change the paperwork again and put the drunks on the park benches to look after themselves?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 23:21:07 +0100, Dave had this to say:

In fact, why not supply them with alcohol (just to make sure it's pure)?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Or why not tidy them away in a special van. Where they get charged for being removed.

Reply to
mogga

Drunk Yoga anyone ?

geoff