Mosquito under-25 repellant device

Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or had any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?
Personnally i would have every home fitted with one,the thought of repellng teenagers is just too good to be true
ALex wrote:

Unless, of course, you happen to have spawned a few yourself, or a few innocent ones are walking by.
It'd be particularly cool to get a portable one, though.
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:27:52 +0000, Mr Flibble

You could try Des O'Conner instead blasting out. Someone I spoke to reckoned that very fresh horse muck along the hedge side they hang about on would work. Put brambles and other prickles in your hedges if they sit in them for fun.
The mosquitoes that "infringe youths civil liberties" aren't on all the time. They get put on for 20 mins max when there's a problem.
They were saying about integrating youths into society - Well the rest of society manages to sit and read or watch tv or go and do some sport and doesn't feel the need to hang round on the streets. We don't need to provide constant entertainment for young people. They need to be parented and taught that sometimes you have to find quiet things to do, on a zero budget without annoying people. Otherwise I suspect we will have hoardes of adults roaming the streets in drunken rages in search of their next blast of entertainment because that's what they've been led to expect.
Why don't we have a curfew so that youths aren't allowed out in the evenings without a parent with them. Then parents would be forced to take some responsibility for their kids and not leave them out on the street that they seem to think is some sort of youth centre. There's got to be a reality TV program in it - "My kids don't do that" where they secretly film yobs and show the footage to the parents after.
Mogga wrote:

Um. We do, don't we?

I've got a DVD of Public Information Films, mostly from the 70s. One of them, about vandalism, was very much along those lines.
Pete
Mr Flibble wrote in

"Innocent teenagers"?
--
PeterMcC

That are the ones that have a mosquito ring tone on the phones so the teacher cannot hear it.
Adam

I've heard this one and have my doubts that a phone speaker has either the frequency response or power to reproduce this properly.
--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

We were thinking that at work. Still, you cannot stop made up stories from doing the rounds.
Adam

I downloaded a wave file and played it on the rather tinny speakers of a laptop and I couldn't hear it but my daughter was going to chuck the laptop out the windows after 30 seconds.. she was 21 at the time. I expect that it would work as a ring tone.

I would have though cheap and tinny were the perfect pitches for mosquito coasters.

Just like phone speakers then. ;-)

Just like phone speakers.
Listen to a gang/group of teens walking down a steet (they are not all yobs) and they are playing music in the worst possible way by using their mobile phones. They do not know what they are missing.
Adam

That's the trouble with the young.. they are technologically challenged. They have never heard of Bluetooth and certainly don't know about Bluetooth stereo headsets.
They look at me a bit odd when I send full emails from my phone rather than pay to send a stupid text message.
Mr Flibble wrote:

Hmmm.
s/unless/especially/
David

It is.. babies can hear it just as well as teenagers. If you start waking your neighbours babies at night and they find out its you you can expect some grief.
Also isn't it illegal to torture babies?

See post about Des O'Connor ...
--
geoff

There has been talk of banning their use. However, in some shopping areas, playing classical music has been found to be as effective.
Colin Bignell
nightjar <cpb@ wrote:

Colin,
Unfortunately, some people suffer from hyperacusis which can result in even otherwise-pleasant classical music driving us out of the shopping areas - not just the hoods!
(Mind, most non-classical music, announcements, reversing beepers, etc. are all far worse. :-))
Quick summary - <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis>
--
Rod

I have the opposite problem - a reduction in hearing at mid-range frequencies. However, wandering around Troyes at Christmas, I found the constant music simply annoying.
Colin Bignell