Mosquito under-25 repellant device

The best place for 'em.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In this case we're talking, largely, about parents who do not know, or do not care, what their kids are doing. The first problem is easier to fix; the police need to catch a few of them and take them home, and their parents will sort them out. The second problem is harder, because the parents do not give a shit; in fact they're giving the kids a tenner for drink to get them out of the house. In which case there is, of course, an argument to get the kids taken into care.

And yes, innocent teenagers and small babies do come past the house, so I would not want a device blaring away all the time, only when there is a problem. Actually I think the majority of people (overall) in this age group are generally decent, however peer pressure is a big deal. In a group of 20 misbehaving 14 year olds, you'll find that there's one or two bad eggs (who love trouble and don't care about the cops or anything else, and do it for the attention and "respect" they get), and the rest of them all feel that they can carry on the same way when they're there. As soon as they are shown that they are in the wrong, perhaps by being taken home to their parents, or spending a few hours in a cell, they'll soon stop.

To me the big problem is the police. Not necessarily the officers themselves, but the circumstances they have to work in. They're reluctant to move in and start lifting people when there's trouble, preferring a weird policy of trying to win hearts and minds instead. I would not mind this if it actually worked. Then you've paper work, police resources, and time and so on. I reckon that a lot of the cops start out wanting to take action, but find themselves slowed down or frustrated by the legal system they're operating within.

I am inclined to agree with this to an extent. I don't think physical violence is necessary, but the point needs to get across that what they're doing is wrong and won't be tolerated. I'm sure that if parents were held legally liable for problems caused by their kids, to the point of punitive fines being levied, you'd start getting somewhere.

It seems to me - perhaps I'm completely wrong - that we only have this sort of chav culture in the UK and Ireland. I have never seen or heard anything equivalent to it elsewhere in Europe. Am I wrong - is this a general problem everywhere, or something specific to here ?

Reply to
Mr Flibble

Actually I think it IS an offence to loiter.

Legally minors can't make purchases anyway, so they have no valid reason to hang around shops.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Frank Erskine writes

only "with intent"

so, unless you are out camping (fnarr fnarr) it's not a problem

who says that ?

never heard that one

Reply to
geoff

Because minors can't legally make contracts.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Plenty of minors buying magazines, sweets etc at my newsagent this morning. Shall I call the sweeney?

Reply to
Emil Tiades

The supermarket where we do some shopping is plagued with the little tossers. As no one is being murdered or taken hostage, police response is pathetic and the yobs know this. Councillors have complained to the police who claim to have more urgent priorities, and the yobs know this. Of course, if a member of the public was to clout one of the little turds, the police would appear within seconds and charge him with assault, with plenty of do-gooders being witnesses for the prosecution.

Reply to
Emil Tiades

You better had all those minors stealing goods and the shop keepers extorting cash from minors.. it needs to be stamped out now!

Reply to
dennis

Define *loitering* as that can also apply to old farts like me who could stand and gossip on the public highway all damn day!

Under the law minors *CAN* make purchases *AND* contracts for *NECESSARIES*.

Necessaries are described under the Sales of Goods Act, 1893 as Food, Clothing, Medical Attention and Educational Books.

Hence they have every right to frequent shops for purchases, but not for the minority to hang around and create a damn nuisance of themselves!

BRG

Reply to
BRG

I went to the police recently to report some problems, and the police said that without being able to formally identify the offenders there was little I could do. I said, OK then, I'll photograph them with my mobile phone. They told me not to do this as in principle it could leave me open to being prosecuted for being in possession of photographs of minors.

It just seems like you can't win.

Reply to
Mr Flibble

There are enough adults that hang around being a real pain, they hang about pub doors, entrances to offices, and shops, all over the place and they usually litter too. I wonder why its OK for them but not for kids? If someone comes up with a way to shift them things will be much better.

Reply to
dennis

OK, I'll bite.

If we had reasonable legislation involving choice, instead of punitive legislation we wouldn't have the problem would we. We could shift them into designated smoking areas.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I quite agree - but it's usually the youngsters that are more boisterous and appear to be more intimidating than their elders - especially when they are intxicated or just out for trouble in gangs.

According to my son, America (which he treats as his second home due to work commitments there) and New York particularly, have laws preventing smokers etc from congregating within 20 feet or so of any public access doorway - if they applied that law here, then that would resolve the problem.

BRG

Reply to
BRG

TMH,

Don't get me - a avid (or eveb rabid) non-smoker - onto that subject! Besides, that's going even further Off Topic on this posting :-)

BRG

Reply to
BRG

But they _don't_ - there are loads of smoking shelters outside supermarkets et.al., but smokers don't use them. They'd rather stand in the shop doorway polluting the atmosphere.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Smoking shelters? Are you having a laugh? The only ones I've seen are at the back of pubs. Supermarkets? Where?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

At the far end of Morrisons near Jewsons. Small shelter attached to wall. "Ashtray" device attached to wall. Smell permeating all around :-)

(I think that this is mainly intended for staff. Customers congregate around the trolleys and cash machines at the main door.)

Reply to
Rod

It wouldn't resolve the 'problem' - a non exxistant problem anyway, it would just make non-smokers enjoy their Schadenfreude even more, evil little bastards that they are.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That should have read; anti smoking fascists enjoy their Schadenfreude even more, evil little bastards that they are.

No offence to any normal non smokers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

All over the place - apart from where the smokers congregate.

A few years ago the local large general hospital provided 'bus-shelter' type smoking shelters, which nobody used (apart from normal people using them in the rain to wait for taxis etc). They were dismantled a year or two ago when smoking was 'banned' in the grounds altogether. Now even patients in wheelchairs, carrying dripfeed stands or whatever they're called, just gather anywhere to feed their smoking habits and give you a two-fingered wave if you so much as look at them if you're visiting someone.

It's a waste of time complaining to the hospital authorities - a lot of the offenders are security staff (and even 'health professionals' (whatever that's supposed to mean)).

Unfortunately most hospitals seem to have large concrete canopies over their major portals, providing ideal spots for smokers.

Reply to
Frank Erskine