Mosquito under-25 repellant device

BRG wrote:

In this case we're talking, largely, about parents who do not know, or do not care, what their kids are doing. The first problem is easier to fix; the police need to catch a few of them and take them home, and their parents will sort them out. The second problem is harder, because the parents do not give a shit; in fact they're giving the kids a tenner for drink to get them out of the house. In which case there is, of course, an argument to get the kids taken into care.
And yes, innocent teenagers and small babies do come past the house, so I would not want a device blaring away all the time, only when there is a problem. Actually I think the majority of people (overall) in this age group are generally decent, however peer pressure is a big deal. In a group of 20 misbehaving 14 year olds, you'll find that there's one or two bad eggs (who love trouble and don't care about the cops or anything else, and do it for the attention and "respect" they get), and the rest of them all feel that they can carry on the same way when they're there. As soon as they are shown that they are in the wrong, perhaps by being taken home to their parents, or spending a few hours in a cell, they'll soon stop.
To me the big problem is the police. Not necessarily the officers themselves, but the circumstances they have to work in. They're reluctant to move in and start lifting people when there's trouble, preferring a weird policy of trying to win hearts and minds instead. I would not mind this if it actually worked. Then you've paper work, police resources, and time and so on. I reckon that a lot of the cops start out wanting to take action, but find themselves slowed down or frustrated by the legal system they're operating within.

I am inclined to agree with this to an extent. I don't think physical violence is necessary, but the point needs to get across that what they're doing is wrong and won't be tolerated. I'm sure that if parents were held legally liable for problems caused by their kids, to the point of punitive fines being levied, you'd start getting somewhere.
It seems to me - perhaps I'm completely wrong - that we only have this sort of chav culture in the UK and Ireland. I have never seen or heard anything equivalent to it elsewhere in Europe. Am I wrong - is this a general problem everywhere, or something specific to here ?
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:08:54 +0000, Mr Flibble

The supermarket where we do some shopping is plagued with the little tossers. As no one is being murdered or taken hostage, police response is pathetic and the yobs know this. Councillors have complained to the police who claim to have more urgent priorities, and the yobs know this. Of course, if a member of the public was to clout one of the little turds, the police would appear within seconds and charge him with assault, with plenty of do-gooders being witnesses for the prosecution.
Emil Tiades wrote:

I went to the police recently to report some problems, and the police said that without being able to formally identify the offenders there was little I could do. I said, OK then, I'll photograph them with my mobile phone. They told me not to do this as in principle it could leave me open to being prosecuted for being in possession of photographs of minors.
It just seems like you can't win.
snipped-for-privacy@asflibbledoes.com says...

So what strange new law does that come from then ????
--
Neil Barker

I was threatened with something similar by pikey ex(hooray!) neighbours when videoing their kids who I suspected had been damaging our cars. All that happened was a PC came round and warned the kids. He told us not to be concerned about such nonsense.
--
Si

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:50:35 +0000, Mr Flibble

Bloody expensive to purchase outright though http://www.personalalarms.com/store/erol.html#1X0
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:12:56 +0000, Emil Tiades

That page doesn't load for me. Either that or I'm too impatient
http://themidgeatershop.shopkit.net / 499.00 (Inc. Vat)
Mogga wrote:

:O
All you need is a tweeter and a 20KHz oscillator!
Andy

From the "this is what you old farts would hear" articles, it's more like beats - so you would need two oscillators, somewhat higher than 20k of course
--
geoff

You would also need a teenager in a cage for tests

Prolly quite simple to trap a couple
--
geoff

Some of us have a tame one we could hire out. :)

Why a cage? Why not just a random passer by?
Anyway these things don't work against the trouble makers just the ones that hang around the shops. The trouble makers will just destroy the device and probably torch the shop. It isn't an offence to hang about, if you think it is just remember that the next time you stop in the street to talk to someone you know.
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:59:10 -0000, "dennis@home"

Actually I think it IS an offence to loiter.
Legally minors can't make purchases anyway, so they have no valid reason to hang around shops.
--
Frank Erskine

only "with intent"
so, unless you are out camping (fnarr fnarr) it's not a problem

who says that ?
never heard that one
--
geoff

Because minors can't legally make contracts.
--
Frank Erskine

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:30:17 +0000, Frank Erskine

Plenty of minors buying magazines, sweets etc at my newsagent this morning. Shall I call the sweeney?

You better had all those minors stealing goods and the shop keepers extorting cash from minors.. it needs to be stamped out now!
Frank Erskine wrote:

Define *loitering* as that can also apply to old farts like me who could stand and gossip on the public highway all damn day!

Under the law minors *CAN* make purchases *AND* contracts for *NECESSARIES*.
Necessaries are described under the Sales of Goods Act, 1893 as Food, Clothing, Medical Attention and Educational Books.
Hence they have every right to frequent shops for purchases, but not for the minority to hang around and create a damn nuisance of themselves!
BRG

There are enough adults that hang around being a real pain, they hang about pub doors, entrances to offices, and shops, all over the place and they usually litter too. I wonder why its OK for them but not for kids? If someone comes up with a way to shift them things will be much better.