Nuisance youths

and there was me thinking you'd have it slide out from a slightly raised bed ;)

KK

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

Exactly what I thought. My late dad was a physics teacher at a local school. When he started training, teaching was a respected profession. One spoke of "doctors, lawyers, teachers & clerical men" as "professional people". By the time he retired it had all gone to pot.

Due to all sorts of deals done between the government and the teachers unions his pay had diminished, the kids were no longer responsive (probably partly due to H&S removing most of the "interesting" experiments like blowing the lid off a coffee can!) and he was completely fed up of the whole thing and glad to be getting out.

That was several years ago. The importance of "street cred" has increased a lot since - I doubt if he would have stayed in the job at all now. He certainly wouldn't have even considered training for it (and neither would I).

Reply to
mick

Psychology. Confront them and tell them they are doing you a favour because you suffer from sleeping sickness and their ringing the bell wakes you up, preventing you from going into too deep a sleep. Then offer them 50p per day to ring your bell when they pass. Keep your end of the bargain for a couple of weeks, then complain about the recession and tell them that unfortunately you are going to have to cut it to 30p per day. A couple of weeks later tell them that things have got even worse and you are now going have to drop it to 10p per day. At that point they will refuse to "Work" for that kind of money and no longer ring your bell.

Reply to
Old Git

I think they must have been in their final days in the zoo as I haven't seen them since the incident. I hope they find meaningful employment!

Reply to
John

Too many of 'em to get jobs - time to legalise youthenasia.

Reply to
PeterC

A good planting of Hawthorn or rose should sort the problem in a year or two.

Reply to
<me9

AYE.... BOYASHAKA

Reply to
Tommy

BOYASHAKA

Tommy

Around here, tagging means scribbling a few words on someone's wall or fence. I use the term graffiti if there is some slight artistic merit.

Reply to
Matty F

They're between home and school, so why is its school's fault rather than home's?

They spend more time at home than at school so tell the parents.

For some reason 'society' seem to think that it's up to school to fix everything. School is for education in its widest sense, but not for bringing children up. That's the job the parents took on when they decided on a spot of nookey!

IANAL either, but where covenants are placed on all owners of an estate they are classed as a "building scheme" and any owner can take action against any other. See

for starters.

Favourite tactic of the NIMBY brigade in some areas.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 23:51:58 +0100, F had this to say:

I agree 100%.

Sadly the parent(s) seem to have no inkling of how to be parents - very often they're really still kids themselves.

This has been the case for probably two or three generations now. Some would argue many more. If parents aren't capable (obviously they aren't) of talking to and influencing their children then I suppose that "society" must have some say in the matter.

Many years ago my car alarm (one of those 'pendulum' types) (Selmar?) was often being set off by a youngster from my local school (now a comprehensive, but it was a grammar-tech when I was there).

I literally caught the offending youngster and frogmarched him back to the school where the deputy head remembered me and was able to deal with the kid. Since then I had no trouble (although I did move home a while later). No doubt that nowadays I'd be classed as a pædophile...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Hmmm, this seems to contradict information that I have been looking at recently where a court ruled that although neighbours could enforce such a covenant, it was only applicable to original owners and was not tranferrable to subsequent owners.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'd also be worried that as these things are inaudible to most adults (definitely to me), I could have my son in his trolley and he could be upset by the sound, but I would have no idea why - particularly bad if I lived in a neighbouring house!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Covenants normally get passed on with the land deeds. They are rights or strictures attached to the land itself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's 35 years since I did this stuff at uni, but IIRC the distinction is between the situation where you sell off half your garden with covenants limiting what the buyer can do and the building scheme situation where the developer imposes identical covenants on all buyers of homes on an estate (a 'building scheme').

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Plus assult, kidnap, and probably more I can't think of right now.

20+ years ago, before most people even knew what pædophile meant, I recall walking around a B&Q (actually, probably a Texas) with a chap from work, getting some things to plumb in a new sink in his just bought house. In the middle of the isle was a little lad, probably about age 3, crying his eyes out because he'd lost daddy. Colleague picked up child without any hesitation, sat him on his shoulders, and the 3 of us set off around the store looking for daddy, who we found quite quickly, and it was smiles all round.

Probably a couple of times in the last 10 years, I've walked into an isle of a shop and seen a similarly lost child, and found myself instinctively doing a U-turn and walking away, in case I'm accused of doing something nasty. That's a change forced on society by the continuous campaigning of the likes of the NSPCC, supposedly for the protection of children, which I find abhorrent, but that's where we now are, sadly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Or, at the very least, done for assault or maybe even kidnap.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed. You can write a contract with the land, or its owner.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've done very similar - usually hung around far enough away to not be accused of anything, but close enough to keep an eye on the child to make sure nothing happens, until either a parent or a woman arrives.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker