Replacement car registration plates.

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a place to get a set of bog-standard rego plates please (MOT advisory recommends replacement due to cracks, etc.).

Is there anything I should be aware of which might not be immediately obvious?

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

Reply to
pastedavid

Just about any motor factor, including Halfrauds. You will need to take your photocard driving licence (other ID's fine, but that's easiest) and the V5C for the car.

Which translates to the plates are perfectly legal, and passed the MOT, but the tester thought you might like to know they aren't the prettiest. Which was very kind of him, but you probably already knew that.

Reply to
Adrian

So I don't necessarily have to replace them then? The carachters aren't impared in any way, there are just a couple of spider-web cracks.

Cheers.

Reply to
pastedavid

Most garages will do/get them for you and I have found that local independent garages are usually the most convenient ( especially as you have to produce all the relevant documents) and no more expensive than elsewhere.

Reply to
robert

Nope. They weren't bad enough to meet the MOT's "reasons for rejection" standard, so they passed. Anything else is cosmetic.

A registration plate: ... b. so insecure that it is likely to fall off c. letter or figure missing or incomplete d. faded, dirty, delaminated, deteriorated or obscured, (for example by a towbar) so that it is likely to be misread or is not easily legible by a person standing approximately 20 metres to the front/rear of the vehicle

Reply to
Adrian

usually, these advisory items mean "I won't pass it next year"

Reply to
charles

He's psychic about what's going to happen to those plates in the next twelve months? Impressive. Because if they turn up next year in the same condition as they turned up today, then he has no choice but to pass 'em again.

Reply to
Adrian

I had it every year for 12 years.

Last time they got fed up, and fitted new ones. For free :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Not necessarily so. I changed a car three years ago that had the same MOT 'advisory' noted for four years by the same garage (apparent small oil leak on the power steering - though the reservoir *never* lost a drop of oil in that time) - car passed the MOT each time without any other 'problems'.

The funny thing about that saga was that particular garage was servicing the car and the aforesaid 'oil leak' was *never* noted on the checklist that I received when the bill was paid,

For the next three years, I had the car MOTd at a different garage (they only did MOTs and not repairs [Local Authority Testing Station]), and they never even bothered to note it - and when I questioned this, their reply was simply "what oil leak?"

The car did fail each of those times though on other items (all genuine failures and resolved elsewhere) and passed the MOT on *free* retest by the above garage.

Had the car from new BTW and kept it for the usual life-span of my transport (10 years) before changing it.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

My local discount motor parts place made one in 30 minutes, and I had to produce no paperwork. But I won't say who he is. There was no doubt that the old one needing replacing, it was toast.

Reply to
Davey

An advisory is just that - advisory

Reply to
bert

(MOT advisory recommends replacement due to cracks, etc.).

They are widely available. The tester is probably doing you a favour because good condition plates are less likely to attract plod's attention when he needs an excuse to stop you. Also in bad visibility conditions good condition plates are more easily seen.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com was thinking very hard :

Do a search on ebay, you can buy perfectly legal looking and standard plates, to all intents and purposes identical to what you get via the proper channels - but without the faff, much cheaper and better quality.

All the law on plates is doing, is making those who obey the law pay much more for them and arse about producing paperwork. The crims just do what they have always done - get a freind to make them or order from ebay - Any numbers you like, any style you like.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I reversed a towing hook into neighbour's plate, leaving a nice spider's web style crack in it. I would have replaced it myself, except for needing all the paperwork, so told him I'd pay for it. In the event, no paperwork was asked for in the shop, so I could have done it all myself (and would have, if I'd known that). I rather suspect no one takes much notice of this law.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

An advisory is just an early warning that something passes, but it may not pass next year if it deteriorates further. My MOT man goes one step further and does verbal advisories - items which if caught in time, deterioration can be prevented.

This year I got a verbal advisory that a couple of inches of my more exposed brake pipes were showing some early signs of surface rust. Clean them and grease them was the verbal advice. I cleaned up all of the pipes, oiled, greased, then the exposed bit I covered with plastic clip on protection to prevent the grease being washed off. All done just after the MOT, the same day.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Andrew Gabriel used his keyboard to write :

It is a rediculous law, easily circumvented and effectively solves nothing. I paid around £3 inc delivery for the last visually road legal ebay plate I bought. How much did you pay?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Any chance of posting an item ID or seller name for that? Because the only ones I can find are more expensive than the last ones I had made at a local motor factor's - and still need ID.

Reply to
Adrian

I've had an advisory on my '97 BMW about slight play on an inner track rod bearing (on the end of the steering rack) each year since its first MOT. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wednesday 12 June 2013 10:50 Adrian wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Pressed metal - like they used to be - therefore should last a long time.

Claims to be UK street legal - does anyone know if this is actually true?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Lovely, an' all. But at £24/pair...

Look like it. Correct font, BS markings and manufacturer details. But not legally manufactured/supplied, unless they contact you after the order to request ID.

Reply to
Adrian