Stop the squirrels

I want to build a bird table on a pole. How can I stop squirrels climbing up the pole?

Reply to
Patrick

can't make the upside down leap out to the edge of the table and then onto it. More importantly it'll stop the rats too.. The Q

Reply to
the q

Thanks for the quick reply. Any advice on the width of the table?>

Reply to
Patrick

Anti burglar paint!

No seriosly you wont stop them climbing the pole you need to stop them getting to the table. My neighbour acheives this by putting an upside down cone affair at the top of the pole near the table. The size and material would depend on your particular table.

TABLE TOP __________ | / | \ / | \ / | \ | | | |

------------- Base

Hope that makes sense.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks again! Will try something like that. Did use a round 4 inch drain pipe but the little pet? managed to get up it eventually. Am considering a square 4 inch pipe. Did actually think of the anti-burglar paint, but that would be messy.>

Reply to
Patrick

Shoot the squirrel !

Reply to
G&M

Sometimes I feel like it, but my wife thinks they're cute. And we've also got an elusive mole!

Reply to
Patrick

Well she won't if one of them bites her... Vicious little things they are, but they are fun to watch.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Yeah. Especially when they're breaking and entering into your roof.

As Jasper Carrott once said "Only way to deal with moley ... blow his b****y head off !"

Reply to
G&M

Get yourself a fox. Fatten it up. Train it to stand at the foot of the bird table wearing a leather jacket And don't forget to shave its head.

arthur

Reply to
Arthur

There iws only one way to stop squirrels, and that is to catch then and dispose of them.

Get a mink/rat trap from Mole Valley Farmers, branch in Bridgewater, cost about £20.

Alan

-- reply to freddy(at)windsor-berks(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Alan Holmes

A couple of years ago I worked in an office, and my desk was alongside a window overlooking the rear garden (business property). Saw many natural animal events take place over the months.

One day there was a squirrel playing on the grass on the far side. A couple of minutes later this squirrel was doing about 90mph - running. The company cat had come round the corner and squirrel figured a tree would be a decent place to vacate to.

I never realised they could run so fast.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

In article , Patrick writes

Spread Curry paste on the pole. The squirrel stops to lick the paste off the pole. Squirrel suddenly needs a drink and heads for the bird bath.

Reply to
zaax

I did have a link somewhere, where someone used what I think was a stun- gun and created himself a "hot" squirrel feeder :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

13kV wire half way up.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Eat the squirrel!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Blimey. Mi6 will want to know about er, Oi reckun.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why not simply make it more exciting. You could have obstacles past which it has to jump, bits it has to squeeze through, knives coming out of the post, huge bowling balls coming down a chute, ...

Or am I just channeling old Indiana Jones movies.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You could paint a big 'H' on it!

T i m